CATTI英语一二三级口笔译备考课基础口译课:职业译员带你系统学口译实战口译笔记法:从精通到入行同声传译:职业译员同传实战入门
点击购买获取口译网网站注册邀请码口译自己怎么练 微信就能天天练!独家口译教学训练备考实战精华语料库关注口译网公众号 订阅最新口译资料
查看: 36146|回复: 16

[社会] 2019-06-11 斯图尔特911救援者听证会含泪怒斥国会议员

[复制链接]
发表于 2019-6-15 11:09:30 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
打卡上传录音
“911事件发生时这些应急人员在5秒内就做出了反应。18年后,该你们做好自己的本职工作了!”

在美国众议院6月11日召开的一场听证会上,美国前深夜节目主持人、9·11事件应急人员代表“囧司徒”——乔恩•斯图尔特(Jon Stewart)面对一排几乎空着的议员座椅,含泪哽咽怒斥国会议员对9·11事件中的应急人员漠不关心。他表示,这些议员并没有尊重这些曾在9·11事件中做出牺牲的应急人员,这些议员的漠不关心,让这些曾作出牺牲的人们损失了他们最珍贵的东西——时间。

“在我身后,坐满了9·11事件中的应急人员;而在我面前,国会议员席几乎空无一人。每位议员都曾在推特上说过,‘永远不要忘记911的英雄们,永远不要忘记他们的勇敢,不要忘记他们做出的贡献,不要忘记他们为了这个国家所付出的一切!’好啊,现在英雄们来了,可议员他们现在在哪里?”

著名电视节目主持人、作家、时政评论员乔恩·斯图尔特(Jon Stewart),同时也是一直为911事件现场急救人员的医疗和福利奔走呼吁的社会活动家,在6月11日国会举办的重新启动911受害者赔偿基金听证会上几度哽咽,向在场和不在场的议员们发出了悲愤的质问。

回帖下载完整视频及双语对照文本:

游客,如果您要查看本帖隐藏内容请【回复】

I want to thank Mr. Collins and Mr. Nadler for putting this together. But, as I sit here today, I can’t help but think what an incredible metaphor this room is for the entire process that getting health care and benefits for 9/11 first responders has come to. Behind me: a filled room of 9/11 first responders. And in front of me: a nearly empty Congress.

我要感谢纳德勒议员先生举办这个听证会。可是,当我今天坐在这里,却不由得想到,这个听证会大厅以及整个为911急救人员争取医疗和福利的过程,影射着一个让人难以置信的隐喻——在我身后,坐着满满一屋子的911急救人员;在我面前,是几乎空无一人的国会议员席位。

Sick and dying, they brought themselves down here to speak -- to no one. It's shameful. It's an embarrassment to the country. And it is a stain on this institution. And you should be ashamed of yourselves for those that aren't here, but you won't be because accountability doesn't appear to be something that occurs in this chamber.

这些因为救援而患病及将要死去的人们。他们来到这里,想要发声,而听众却寥寥无几。可耻啊!这是国家尴尬的一幕,这是国会蒙羞的一幕。你们应该为那些不到场的人感到羞耻。但你们是不会觉得羞耻的,因为"责任”对你们而言只是一句空话!

We don't want to be here. Luis [Detective Luis Alvarez] doesn't want to be here. None of these people want to be here. But they are, and they're not here for themselves. They're here to continue fighting for what's right. Lu's going to go back for his 69th chemo. The great Ray Pfeiffer would come down here, his body riddled with cancer and pain, where he couldn't walk; and the disrespect shown to him and to the other lobbyists on this bill is utterly unacceptable.

我们不想来, Luis (退休警官,癌症患者)不想来,这些人没一个想来!但他们来了,而且,他们不是为自己而来。他们要在这里继续斗争,为正义而斗争! Lou将要回去做第六十九次化疗,伟大的Ray Pfeifer(去世的消防员)一定也想来,他的身体曾被癌细胞和疼痛吞噬,以致无法行走。这项提案引发的对他和其他倡议者的不尊重,让人完全不能接受!

You know, I used to get...I would be so angry at the latest injustice that's done to these men and women and, you know, another business card thrown our way as a way of shooing us away like children trick-or-treating, rather than the heroes that they are and will always be.

我非常生气,因为这些人最近受到了不公正的待遇;而我们所得到的,只是一张张扔给我们的名片,就象万圣节用糖果打发孩子们一样,而不是把他们当作永远的英雄人物来看待!

Ray would stay, "Calm down, Johnny. Calm down." "I got all the cards I need." And he would tap his pocket...where he kept the prayer cards of 343 firefighters.

Ray 假如在世, 他会劝我,冷静点,乔尼,冷静点。“我拿到了所有的卡片”,他会拍拍口袋,里面装满祷告词卡片。343名消防员!

The official FDNY response time to 911 was five seconds. Five seconds! That's how long it took for FDNY, for NYPD, for Port Authority, for EMS to respond to an urgent need from the public. Five seconds. Hundreds died in an instant. Thousands more poured in to continue to fight for their brothers and sisters.

纽约市消防局对911恐袭的官方反应时间是五秒钟。五秒!这就是纽约市消防局,警察局,港务局和紧急医疗服务中心针对突发事件所需要的回应公众的时间。五秒钟!几百人瞬间死去了,几千人再冲上去,为了他们视如兄弟姐妹的人们,继续战斗!

The breathing problems started almost immediately. And they were told they weren't sick -- they were crazy.  And then, as the illnesses got worse and things became more apparent, "Well, okay, you're sick but it's not from the pile." And then, when the science became irrefutable, "Okay, it's the pile -- but this is a New York issue." I don't know if we "have the money."

灾后,他们的呼吸问题即刻出现了,然而他们却被告知他们没有生病, 他们只是精神错乱了!随着病况变得越发糟糕,实情也更加明朗。“好吧,你们生病了。但不是因为废墟的瓦砾堆。”然后当科学证实变得无可辩驳。“好吧”,那些打官腔的人又说,“是因为瓦砾堆。但这个问题归纽约管。我不知道我们有没有这笔钱。”

And I'm sorry if I sound angry and undiplomatic, but I'm angry -- and you should be too; and they're all angry as well. And they have every justification to be that way. There is not a person here, there is not an empty chair on that stage that didn't tweet out, "Never forget" the heroes of 9/11; never forget their bravery; never forget what they did, what they gave to this country. Well here they are! And where are they?

如果我的话听起来很愤怒,不够圆滑,我很抱歉。可是我真的很气愤,你们也同样应该气愤!我身后的救援人员也非常气愤,他们有足够的理由气愤!议员席位上的人,包括那些空着的座位上的人,没有一位没在推特上说过,“永远不要忘记911的英雄们,永远不要忘记他们的勇敢,不要忘记他们做出的贡献,不要忘记他们为了这个国家所付出的一切!” 好啊,现在英雄们来了,可议员他们现在在哪里?

And it would be one thing if their callous indifference and rank hypocrisy were benign. But it's not. Your indifference cost these men and women their most valuable commodity: time. It's the one thing they're running out of.

如果他们的冷漠无情和让人生厌的虚伪是出于良心的,那是一回事。但不是那样。你们的漠不关心让这些英雄们失去了他们最宝贵的东西——时间,他们再也耗不起了。

This should be flipped -- this hearing should be flipped: These men and women should be up on that stage and Congress should be down here answering their questions as to why this is so damn hard and takes so damn long; and why, no matter what they get, something's always pulled back. And they gotta come back.

今天的听证会应该反过来。这些英雄们应该坐在台上,国会议员应该坐在下面,回答他们的质询:为什么这么难,为什么需要这么久?为什么不管他们走到哪一步,总有人往回拉,然后他们必须又回到这里?

Mr. Johnson [Henry C. "Hank" Johnson, Rep. Georgia], you...made a point earlier and it was one that we have heard over and over again in these halls. And I...couldn't help but to answer to it, which was -- you said, "Look, you know, you guys are obviously heroes and 9/11 was a big deal but, you know, we have a lot of stuff here to do.  And, you know, we got to make sure there's money for a variety of disasters, hurricanes and tornadoes."

约翰逊先生,你之前提到一点,是我们在这些大厅里一遍又一遍地听到的问题,我忍不住要回复你。你说,你们显然是英雄,911是个大事件,但你们也知道我们这里有很多事情要做,而且你们知道我们必须确保有钱来应付各种各样的灾难,飓风和龙卷风的。

But this wasn't a hurricane. And this wasn't a tornado. And by the way, that's your job, anyway. We can't fund these programs -- you can. Setting aside that no American in this country should face financial ruin because of a...health issue, certainly 9/11 first responders shouldn't have to decide whether to live or to have a place to live.

可这不是飓风,不是龙卷风。顺便说一下,无论如何,这是你们的工作。我们无法为这些计划提供资金,而你们可以! 更不要说,这个国家不应该有任何一个美国人因健康问题而必须面临财务危机。911急救人员绝对不应该考虑是否要活下去,不应该考虑还可以住在哪里。

And the idea that you can only give them five more years of the VCF[be]cause you're not quite sure what's going to happen five years from now -- well, I can tell you I'm pretty sure what's going to happen five years from now: More of these men and women are going to get sick and they are going to die.

还有,你们认为只能答应受害者五年时间的赔偿基金,因为你们不确定五年之后的情形会怎么样。那么,我可以明确地告诉你们五年后将会发生什么事情:他们中更多的人会患病,他们会死去!

And I am awfully tired of hearing that it's a...9/11 New York issue. Al-Qaeda didn't shout "death to Tribeca." They attacked America, and these men and women, and their response to it, is what brought our country back. It's what gave a reeling nation a solid foundation to stand back upon, to remind us of why this country is great, of why this country is worth fighting for. And you are ignoring them!

还有,这句话我已经听够了,“这个911,是纽约的事情。” 基地组织可不是在向纽约的特里贝克发出死亡令,他们袭击的是美国。是这些男人和女人参与了救援,是他们挽救了我们国家,做我们的后盾,是他们的行为提醒我们,这个国家为什么这样伟大,为什么值得我们去奋斗。可你们却无视他们的存在!

And you can end it tomorrow. Why this bill isn't unanimous consent and a standalone issue is beyond my comprehension. And I have yet to hear a reasonable explanation for why. It'll get stuck in some transportation bill or some appropriations bill and get sent over to the Senate, where a certain someone from the Senate will use it as a political football to get themselves maybe another new import tax on petroleum -- [be]cause that's what happened to us in 2015.

其实你们明天就能结束这个局面。为什么这项提案不能全体通过?为什么这不能作为一个独立的议案?实在让我无法理解! 而且至今我还没有听到一个合理的解释,为什么它会被困在某些交通法案或拨款法案中,并且将会送到参议院,参议院的某个人再把它当作政治足球踢来踢去,为他们自己再争取到一个新的征收石油进口税方案,因为2015年我们就遇到过这样的事情。

And we won't allow it to happen again. Thank God for people like John Feal. Thank God for people like Ray Pfeiffer. Thank God for all of these people who will not let it happen. They responded in five seconds. They did their jobs with courage, grace, tenacity, humility. Eighteen years later -- do yours!  

我们不会让这种事再发生。感谢上帝,有像 John Field 和 Ray 这样的人,为所有这些不会让这件事再发生的人而感谢上帝!他们仅用五秒钟做出回应,他们充满勇气和善意,他们持之以恒并毫不张扬地完成着救援工作;十八年过去了,现在该你们做好本职工作了!

Thank you.

谢谢。
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2019-6-17 00:05:29 | 显示全部楼层
真是名嘴,撼动灵魂!
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2019-6-17 11:00:00 | 显示全部楼层
好好学习
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2019-6-19 14:56:26 | 显示全部楼层
提示: 作者被禁止或删除 内容自动屏蔽
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2019-6-20 18:42:31 | 显示全部楼层
斯图尔特911救援者听证会含泪怒斥国会议员
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2019-6-22 08:11:12 来自手机 | 显示全部楼层
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2019-6-22 08:13:51 | 显示全部楼层
thanks for sharing
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2019-9-23 09:05:51 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢分享
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2019-10-8 09:29:12 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢分享
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2019-10-14 16:20:00 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢分享
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

客服微信|Archiver|手机版|口译网    

GMT+8, 2024-3-29 02:24 , Processed in 0.050806 second(s), 19 queries .