↓回帖下载原版视频及双语文本等资源↓

游客,如果您要查看本帖隐藏内容请【回复】

Thank you very much. Thanks everybody.
非常感谢,谢谢大家。

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
谢谢,谢谢,谢谢。

Wow, I am so delighted to be here.
我很高兴参与今天的活动,与大家共享这一美妙时刻。

Sorry we're not outside, but this makes it kind of cozy.
很遗憾仪式不能在室外举行,但是这个礼堂也让人感到十分亲切。

I want to thank President Salva and Dean Chun.
感谢沙洛维校长和陈院长的盛情邀请。

Thank you. Alex, a Razorback fan from Little Rock Arkansas for getting us started on such a high note.
感谢来自阿肯色州的野猪队粉丝,亚列克斯,主持带领我们掀起开场高潮。

Thanks to Alexis and Josh for your comments and your introduction.
感谢亚力克西斯和乔希,你们的赞评和介绍。

Thanks to all of the family and friends here today for allowing me to share this happy occasion.
感谢各位毕业生的亲友亲临现场。很荣幸能与你们共享此刻。

And good afternoon to everyone joining us by livestream from around campus.
感谢通过在线直播收看毕业典礼的校内或校外同学们。

But most of all, congratulations to the class of 2018.
最重要的是,我要恭喜2018届的各位毕业生们。

I am thrilled for all of you, even the three of you who live in Michigan and didn't request your absentee ballots in time.
虽然我知道你们中有三个来自密歇根州的同学,没有在2016年大选的时候准时投票,但无论怎么说,恭喜你们!

Right, before I go any further, I just want to be sure did the students from the new colleges make it here.
在我开始正式演说之前,我想确认一下富兰克林学院和默里学院的同学今天是否有到场?(这两个学院距离耶鲁校园中心最远)

I worried that your flights might be delayed.
我担心你们赶来的航班可能会延误。

Sorry, Franklin and Paulie Marie, I heard you at a great first year.
富兰克林学院和默里学院的同学们,听说你们渡过了非常棒的大一生活。

And I am honored that this class has invited me to be your speaker.
我非常荣幸被2018级的同学邀请作为你们的毕业演讲嘉宾。

Now I see looking out at you that you are following the tradition of over the top hats.
我看到在座各位同学都延续了带帽子参加毕业典礼的传统。

So I brought a hat, too - a Russian hat.
而我也不例外,我带了一顶来自俄罗斯的帽子。

I mean if you can't beat them, join them.
我的意思是,如果我们没办法打败俄国人,那不如加入他们。

You know being here with you brings back a flood of memories.
今天同你们一起,我想起了很多久远的往事。

I remember the first time I arrived on campus as an incoming law student in the fall of 1969, wearing my bell-bottoms, driving a beat-up old car with a mattress tied to the roof.
1969年的秋天,我第一次作为法学院新生来到耶鲁校园。当时穿着喇叭裤,开着我的小破车,车顶上还载着一床床垫。

I had no idea what to expect.
我当时完全不知道在耶鲁等待着我的会是什么。

Now to be honest, I had had some trouble making up my mind between Yale and Harvard Law Schools.
实话说,我当时在哈佛和耶鲁的法学院之间纠结。

Then one day, while we were still in that period of decision making, I was invited to a cocktail party at Harvard for potentially incoming law students where I met a famous law professor.
在我比较哈佛和耶鲁的时候,我受邀参加了哈佛法学院为录取新生准备的鸡尾酒会。在那里我遇到了一位非常有名的法学教授。

A friend of mine a male law student introduced me to this famous law professor.
我的一个男性朋友,一个法学生,介绍我和这位教授认识。

I mean, truly big 3-piece suit, watch-chain and my friend said professor, "this is Hillary Rodham. She's trying to decide whether to come here next year or sign up with our closest competitor".
这个教授穿着三件套西装和手表链。我的朋友介绍道:"教授你好,这是希拉里·罗德姆。她正在决定应该入读哈佛法学院还是我们最大的竞争对手(指耶鲁法学院)。"

Now the great man gave me a cool dismissive look and said," well, first of all, we don't have any close competitors.
这位教授不屑地看了我一眼,说道:"首先,没有学校可以和我们竞争。

And secondly, we don't need any more women at Harvard".
其次,我们哈佛不需要再招更多女生了。"

Now I was leaning toward Yale anyway, but that pretty much sealed the deal.
不过我本来也就更倾向于耶鲁,但是这个教授的态度让我下定了决心。

And when I came to Yale, I was one of 27 women out of 235 law students.
我在耶鲁入学时,同年级235个法学生只有27名女性。

It was the first year women were admitted to the College and as that first class of women prepared to graduate four years later.
1969年也是耶鲁本科生院第一次招收女生。我们也是第一批本科毕业的女性法学生。

The New York Times reported on Yale's foray into co-education noting, that the women quote worked harder and got somewhat better grades than the 940 men graduating with them.
《纽约时报》针对耶鲁男女同校的调查显示,女生比男生更加努力,并比同时毕业的940位男性学生,取得了更高的成绩。

A fact they went on to say that some of the men apparently found threatening.
纽约时报还指出很多男性因此觉得受到了威胁。

Well, I was shocked.
我对此感到震惊。

But over the years, Yale has been a home away from home.
这些年来,耶鲁一直都是我的第二家园。

For me, a place I've returned to time and again, I spoke to class day back in 2001 on the 300th anniversary of the University.
我曾经多次回来探访,也曾在2001年耶鲁300周年校庆的时候作为嘉宾演讲。

And I hope that will be the case for many of you as well.
我希望你们也能对母校有这样的感情。

This school has been responsible for some of my most treasured friends and colleagues people like, Jake Sullivan and Harold Koh
我在这里认识了许多我最珍视的朋友和同事,包括杰克·沙利文和哈罗德·科尔。

And I've watched some of you grow up, like Rebecca Shaw, who's graduating today and you'll hear from shortly.
我也见证了你们许多人的成长,比如丽贝卡·肖,她今天也将发表演讲。

And I've been honored to serve over the last year or two working with some of the Yale Law School faculty, including the new dean Heather gherkin.
我在过去的一两年也有幸和耶鲁法学院的许多教授合作,包括新任院长希瑟·格金。

Now Yale grads, many of whom are also here today have worked for me in the United States Senate, the State Department, on my presidential campaigns.
许多耶鲁的毕业生—你们之中有很多今天也在场—曾经和我在美国参议院、国务院和我的总统竞选活动中共事。

And I have been so well served.
与他们的合作非常愉快。

I have a very dedicated campaign intern here graduating, David Shimer, the class of 2018.
我的一位竞选实习生戴维·夏默,他也是今天毕业生中的一员。

But I have to confess, of all the formative experiences I had at Yale, perhaps, none was more significant than the day during my second year when I was cutting through what was then the student lounge with some friends.
我同时也要承认、在我所有和耶鲁有关的人生经历中,恐怕没有一件的重要性比得过当年和比尔·克林顿的相遇那天。我二年级那年,与朋友们穿过学生休息室的那天。

I saw this tall handsome guy with a beard who looked like a Viking.
看到了一个高高帅帅、留着像维京人一样的胡须的男生。

I said to my friend, well, who is that and she said, well, that's Bill Clinton. He's from Arkansas and that's all he ever talks about.
我问我的朋友这人是谁,朋友告诉我这是比尔克林顿,他来自阿肯萨斯,他从来只知道谈论他的家乡。

And then as if on cue, I hear him saying and not only that we grow the biggest watermelons in the world.
巧合的是,我当时正好听到克林顿说"才不止这样呢,我们还生产世界上最大的西瓜。"

And I was like who is this person, but you know, he kept looking at me and I kept looking back.
我当时很好奇这人到底是谁。他在不停地看我,我也在一直打量着他。

And so we were in the wall library one night, I was studying but I couldn't help but see.
过了几天在学校图书馆,我在学习的时候注意到他在不停地看我,而我忍不住又开始看他。

You know, casually, as I lifted my head up um that he was again looking at me.
碰巧,我抬起头的时候,他也开始看我。

So finally, I thought this is ridiculous. So, I got up went over to him and I said, "you're gonna keep looking at me and I'm gonna keep looking back. We at least ought to be introduced.
我觉得这有点可笑。所以最后,我走到他面前说:"我们既然已经这样看来看去,不如相互做个自我介绍吧。

I'm Hillary Rodham. Who are you"?
我叫希拉里·罗德姆,你是谁"?

And that started a conversation that continues to this day now.
而这成为了我们之间悠长故事的开端。

It was also here at Yale that I saw a flyer in the law school on a bulletin board that changed my life.
还有一次,我在耶鲁法学院告示栏上里面看到一张传单,这张传单改变了我的命运。

Now, some of your parents and grandparents may remember flyers and bulletin boards.
对了,可能只有你们的父母或者祖父母之中还有人知道告示栏和传单是什么。

For the rest of you, suffice it to say that was how we got information, it was like Facebook.
简而言之那是我们过去获得信息的方式,就像今天的脸书。

But the bulletin board didn't steal your personal information.
唯一的区别是告示栏不会偷取你的个人信息。

So one day, I saw a note about a woman named Marian Wright Edelman, a Yale Law School graduate, civil rights activist, who would go on to found the Children's Defense Fund.
言归正传,那张传单是关于玛丽安·赖特·埃德尔曼,一位致力于民权运动的耶鲁法学院毕业生。她后来创办了保护儿童基金会。

Marian was coming back to campus to give a lecture.
玛丽安当时回到耶鲁举办了一个讲座.

I went I was captivated to hear her talk about using her Yale education to create a headstart program in rural Mississippi.
我去听了这个讲座并被深深震撼。她分享了如何利用她在耶鲁的所学,帮助密西西比农村的儿童提高教育质量。

And I wound up working for her that summer.
后来那年暑假我加入了她的项目。

And the experienced opened my eyes to the ways that the law can protect children or come up short.
这一经历让我认识到法律在保护儿童方面的力量和不足。

Because like many of you, I learned just as much outside the four walls of the classroom as I did sitting in a lecture hall.
和你们大多数人一样,我从中学到了和课堂内容同样重要的道理。

And I discovered a passion that has animated my life and my work ever since.
而保护儿童,也自此成为我毕生为之付出的理想。

Now a lot has changed since I was here.
从我毕业以来,耶鲁发生了许许多多的变化。

In 2019, Yale will celebrate the 50th anniversary of the matriculation of women at the college and the 150th anniversary of the first women graduate students at Yale.
2019年,我们就将庆祝首批女性研究生毕业150周年和首批女性本科生毕业50周年。

And I heard that Yale officially changed the term freshman to first-year.
我听说耶鲁在官方文件中取消了有男性偏见的用语。

I also heard amazingly that the Dukes men and the Whiffenpoofs have started welcoming women.
更棒的事,两个男子合唱团也将开始招收女生。

Now, as for my long-lost wyff's audition tape I have buried it so deep, not even WikiLeaks will be able to find it.
这让我想起了我当年申请加入合唱团的试音带:现在就连维基解密也找不到它们在哪里了。

Because if you thought my emails were scandalous, you should hear my singing voice.
如果你觉得我的电子邮件都算得上一大丑闻的话,你真的应该去听听我唱歌。

I find it very exciting that today's graduates hail from all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico Guam and 56 other countries.
今天毕业生的故乡包括全美50个州、华盛顿特区、波多黎各、关岛还有56个其他国家。

And in your 4 years on campus, you've survived late nights and the best cubicles and early mornings and the Sterling stacks,
在你们四年的大学生涯中你们经历了熬夜、图书馆抢位、早起、图书馆查询系统,

you've trekked up Science Hill,
去爬过了科学山,

maybe you've even found love at the Last Chance dance.
可能还有幸在毕业前的"最后一刻舞会"找到爱人。

And now you're ready to take on your next adventure,
现在,你们有人已经做好迎接崭新冒险的准备了,

but maybe some of you are reluctant to leave.
但是,也有人依旧恋恋不舍。

I understand that it's possible to feel both because the class of 2018 is graduating at one of the most tumultuous times in the history of our country.
我也理解哪些两种心情都有的同学。因为当下是我们国家历史上最纷乱复杂的时代之一。

And I say that as someone who graduated in the 60s.
或许比我毕业的六十年代还要纷乱许多。

I recently went back and looked up those famous lines from Charles Dickens in A Tale of Two Cities.
我最近翻看了狄更斯的双城记。

Because you know I usually end after saying "it was the best of times, it was the worst of times".
我一般看完"这是一个最好的时代,这是一个最坏的时代" 就停下了。

But it goes on "it was the age of wisdom; it was the age of foolishness;
但这次我继续往后看:"这是一个智慧的年代;这是一个愚蠢的年代;

It was the epoch of belief; it was the epoch of incredulity;
这是一个信仰的时代;这是一个怀疑的时代;

It was the season of light; it was a season of darkness;
这是一个光明的季节;这是一个黑暗的季节;

It was the spring of hope; it was the winter of despair".
这是希望之春;这是失望之冬。"

Now Dickens was writing about the years leading up to the French Revolution.
狄金森讲述的是法国大革命之前的故事。

But he could have been describing the ricocheting highs and lows of this moment in America.
但同样的语言也可以用来描述今日美国的大起大落。

We're living through a time when fundamental rights civic, virtue freedom of the press, even factsand reason are under assault like never before.
我们生活在这样的一个时代:基本权利、公民价值、出版自由、真相与逻辑等等正在遭受史无前例的攻击;

But we are also witnessing an era of new moral conviction, civic engagement and a sense of devotion to our democracy and country.
但与此同时我们也看到新的道德规范、公众参与、和对我们的国家与政治制度空前信念。

So here's the good news if any group were ever prepared to rise to the occasion.
时代的巨大挑战将成为你们责无旁贷的使命。

It is you, the class of 2018, you've already demonstrated the character and courage that will help you.

navigate this tumultuous moment
你们拥有足够的品格和勇气来应对这一动荡的历史时刻。

And most of all, you've demonstrated resilience.
而最重要的是,你们拥有足够的坚韧。

Now that's a word that's been on my mind a lot recently.
我最近常常思考"坚韧"这个概念。

One of my personal heroes, Eleanor Roosevelt, said you gain strength courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face.
我的偶像埃莉诺·罗斯福说过,每一次你停下脚步与恐惧对视,你都会收获自信、勇气和力量。

You are able to say to yourself I have lived through this or I can take the next thing that comes along well.
这样你便可以告诉自己,我已经经历过这一切了,我有勇气面对下一个挑战。

That's resilience.
这便是坚韧。

And it's so important because everyone everyone gets knocked down what matters is whether you get back up and keep going.
坚韧非常重要,因为每一个人一定会经历失败,而最重要的就是经历失败之后能够爬起来继续向前。

This may be hard for a group of yale soon-to-be graduates to accept.
作为耶鲁大学即将毕业的学生,这听上去可能难以接受。

But yes, you will make mistakes in life; you will even fail. It happens to all of us no matter how qualified or capable.
但是相信我,你一定会犯错,会经历失败,不管你有多优秀。

We are take it from me.
如果不信的话,我自己便是一个活生生的例子。

Oh, I remember those first months after that 2016 election were not easy.
刚刚输掉2016年大选的那几个月一点对我来说也不好过。

We all had our own methods of coping:
但是我们每个人都有面对失败的应对机制:

I went for long walks in the woods;Yale students went for long walks in East Rock Park.
我当时去了森林里散步; 就像耶鲁学生去东岩公园里一样。

I spent hours going down a Twitter rabbit hole; you spent hours in the Yale memes group.
我花几个小时刷推特;你们也在耶鲁脸书群里刷表情包。

I had my fair share of Chardonnay; you had penny drinks at woods.
我喝了很多霞多丽白葡萄酒;你们有校园里的小酒吧。

I practice yoga and alternate nostril breathing; you took psych and the good life.
我练习瑜伽和交替呼吸法;你们去上美好生活的心理课。

And let me just get this out of the way. No, I'm not over it.
如果你们一定要问的话,我承认我还没有完全忘记2016年的失败。

I still think about the 2016 election; I still regret the mistakes I made.
我还在想那次选举;我还在后悔我当时犯下的错误。

I still think though that understanding what happened in such a weird and wild election in American history will help us defend our democracy in the future。
我坚信理解在这次美国历史上如此奇怪而不可预知的选举中到底发生了什么将有助于我们在未来更好地捍卫民主制度,

With your right, left, center Republican Democrat, independent, vegetarian, whatever,
不管你是左派右派中心派、民主党共和党独立党派还是素食主义者,

We all have a stake in that.
这(民主制度)对于我们都很重要。

So today, as a person, I'm okay, but as an American, I'm concerned.
作为个人我觉得一切还过得去、但是作为一个美国公民,我感到担心。

You know, personal resilience is important, but it's not the only form of resilience we need right now.
我刚才说过,个人的坚韧是很重要的。但是仅仅只有个人的坚韧还不够。

We also need community resilience that's something that this class has embodied during your time on campus.
我们作为一个群体也需要有坚韧的品质。这一品质在2018届身上得到了充分的体现。

Literally at times like in the march of resilience your sophomore year,
你们大二的时候参加了坚韧大游行,

it was the biggest demonstration, the biggest demonstration in the history of the school that's 300 plus years led by women of color,
耶鲁历史上最大的游行活动。它由女性黑人学生领导,

supported by students and faculty determined to make Yale a more just equitable and safe place for everyone.
得到学生和教职工的广泛支持,旨在让耶鲁成为一个对所有人更加平等和安全的校园。

Many of you have said that March was a defining moment in your college experience and that says something about this class and your values.
你们许多人说这次游行是你们耶鲁生涯中最重要的时刻,而这一认同体现了你们共同的价值观。

Because the truth is our country is more polarized than ever.
然而现实是,校门之外,我们的国家比以往任何时候都更加分裂。

We have sorted ourselves in two opposing camps and that divides how we see the world the data backs this up.
我们将自己划分成对立的阵营,而这种对立分裂了我们如何看待这个世界。

There are more liberals and conservatives and there used to be and fewer centrists.
因此出现了更多的自由派和保守派,但是温和派却日渐式微。

Our political parties are more ideologically and geographically consistent which means there are fewer northern Republicans and fewer Southern Democrats.
我们的政党在意识形态和地区上的分界更加明显。北方的共和党人和南方的民主党人都越来越少。

And the divides on race and religion are starker than ever before.
在种族和宗教议题上的冲突比以往任何时候都更加激烈。

And as the middle shrink, partisan animosity grew.
随着中间派越来越少,党派对立愈发明显。

Now I'm not going to get political here.
我不想在这里讨论政治。

But this isn't simply a both sides problem.
但是这不仅仅是一个"两边都有错"的简单问题。

The radicalization of American politics hasn't been symmetrical.
美国政治的极端化并不对称。

There are leaders in our country who blatantly incite people with hateful rhetoric, who fear change, who see the world in zero-sum terms.
我们有的领导人明目张胆地用恶毒言论挑起人民矛盾,这些领导人害怕改变并认为国际政治是一场零和游戏:

So that if others are gaining well, they must be losing. That's a recipe for polarization and conflict.
"如果别国获得利益,那一定说明我们国家正陷于不利。"而这就是导致政治极端化和国际冲突的典型逻辑。

Our social fabric is fraying and the bonds of community that hold us together are fractured.
人与人之间的联结正在变得愈发脆弱。

This isn't just a problem because it leads to unpleasant conversations over the Thanksgiving dinner table.
这一问题不仅仅导致了感恩节阖家团聚时令人不快的争执。

It's a problem because it undermines the Civic spirit that makes democracy possible the habits of the heart that de Tocqueville found so unique in the American character.
更重要的是,它威胁到了民主制度赖以生存的根本:公民社会之精神。这一精神正是托克维尔笔下美国政治制度独特性的所在。

I believe healing our country is going to take what I call radical empathy as hard as it is.
我认为要想治疗我们国家的创伤,我们需要"彻底的共情"。

This is a moment to reach across divides of race class and politics to try to see the world through the eyes of people very different from ourselves.
我知道这很困难,但是我们现在必须跨越种族、阶级和争执理念的隔阂,尝试以别人的角度看来这个世界。

And to return to rational debate to find a way to disagree without being disagreeable, to try to recapture a sense of community and common humanity.
回到理智的思辨中,学会如何友善地表达不同意见,找回我们共同的集体归属感和人性的光辉。

When we think about politics and judge our leaders, we can't just ask "am I better off than I was two years or four years ago"?
当我们评价政治和领导人的时候,我们不能只问自己"我自己现在有没有过的比几年前更好?"

We have to ask "are we all better off", "are we as a country better stronger and fairer"?
而是要关心"我们所有人,我们这个国家有没有变得更好,更强大,更公平?"

That's something you've done here at Yale.
你们在耶鲁受到了这方面的训练。

You've learned that you don't need to be an immigrant, to be outraged when a classmate's father, a human being who contributes to his family and his country is unjustly deported.
你们懂得即使自己不是移民,当一个勤勤恳恳工作的父亲被无缘无故驱逐出境的时候,你们也应该感到愤怒。

You don't need to be a person of color to understand that when black students feel singled out and targeted. We still have work to do.
即使自己不是有色人种,当黑人学生被社会孤立甚至针对的时候,你也会知道平权还有很长的路要走;

And you don't need to experience gun violence to know that when a teenager in Texas who just survived a mass shooting says she's not surprised by what happened at her school because and I quote I've always felt like eventually it was going to happen here too.
即使你自己不是枪击案的受害者,当你听到德州学校枪击案的一个幸存学生说"我一点也不感到意外:我一直感觉这种惨剧总有一天也会发生在我身上。"

We are failing our children.
你也会明白我们辜负了自己的孩子。

So enough is enough we need to come together.
我们需要团结。

And we certainly need common-sense gun safety legislation as soon as we can get it.
我们需要尽快通过枪支管控立法。

Now, empathy should not only be at the center of our individual lives our families and our communities.
共情不仅仅应该是我们个人生活、家庭生活和社区生活的中心。

It should be at the center of our public life, our policies and our politics.
它更应该是我们公共生活、政治生活和政策制定的中心。

I know we don't always think of politics and empathy is going hand-in-hand, but they can and more than they must.
that我们往往不觉得政治和共情有什么关系,但是他们可以而且必须共生。

As former secretary Madeleine Albright writes in her terrific new book fascism a warning,
前国务卿马德琳·奥尔布赖特在她的新书"法西斯主义:全新的警示"中写道:

she says this generosity of spirit, this caring about others and about the proposition that we are all created equal is the single most effective antidote to the self-centered moral numbness that allows fascism to thrive.
共情这一灵魂的慷慨,对他人的关爱,对人人生而平等的信仰是抵抗以自我为中心,践踏道德的法西斯主义的最好武器。

And of course Madeleine had personal experience fleeing the Nazis in Czechoslovakia as a baby, returning after the war, fleeing the Communists as a young girl.
奥尔布赖特本人曾经在婴儿时期逃离法西斯控制的捷克斯洛伐克,战争后回归家园,但不久后再次逃离。

Now that brings me to one more form of resilience that's been on my mind over the last year, Democratic resilience.
这引出了去年一直萦绕我心头的,关于坚韧的第三种形式:民主制度的坚韧。

In 1787 after the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia, Benjamin Franklin who by the way received an honorary degree from Yale was asked by a woman in the street outside Independence Hall,
1787年在费城制宪会议之后,本杰明·富兰克林,耶鲁的荣誉毕业生,遇到了一位女士。

"well, doctor, what have we got a republic or a monarchy"?
这位女士问富兰克林:"博士,这个国家会是一个共和国还是一个君主国?"

And Franklin answered "a republic if you can keep it right".
富兰克林答道:"共和国,但是它需要你的维护"。

Now we're living through a full-fledged crisis in our democracy.
我们正在面临一个全盘民主危机。

Now there are not tanks in the streets,
当然,这个危机和上个世纪法西斯崛起的大肆逮捕不一样,

but what's happening right now goes to the heart of who we are.
但是现在所发生的事件触及到了我们的立国之本。

As a nation and I say this, not as a Democrat who lost an election, but as an American afraid of losing a country.
我不是作为一个选举失败的民主党人说这话,而是作为一个害怕失去我们国家的美国人。

There are certain things that are so essential. They should transcend politics.
我们需要建立一些必要的价值,超越政治的基本价值。

Waging a war on the rule of law and a free press delete, amaizing elections, perpetrating shameless corruption and rejecting the dia,
但是对于依法治国和出版自由的攻击、对选举合法性的抹黑、明目张胆的政治腐败、拒绝承认政治家,

that our leaders should be public servants undermines our national unity and attacking truth and reason evidence and facts should alarm us.
本质上是人民公仆等等都威胁着我们国家的团结。对于真相、真理、证据和事实的攻击应该让所有人都提高警惕。

All you and your parents have just paid for a first-class world-class education.
你享受了世界顶级的一流教育。

And as Yale history professor Timothy Snyder writes in his book "On Tyranny" to "abandon facts is to abandon freedom.
耶鲁历史学教授蒂莫西·斯奈德在他的《论暴政》一书中写道:"否定真相便是否定自由。

If nothing is true, then no one can criticize power because there is no basis upon which to do.
如果真相不存在,那人们便不可能有理由质疑权威。

So if nothing is true, then all is spectacle".
如果不存在真实,那么一切都会成为戏码。"

I think professor Schneider both in that book and in his new "On the Road to Unfreedom" is sounding the alarm as loudly as he can,
包括在他的最新著作《通向不自由之路》中,斯奈德教授的警示都掷地有声。

because attempting to erase the line between fact and fiction, truth and reality, is a core feature of authoritarianism.
因为威权主义的核心特征便是试图混淆真相和臆测,

The goal is to make us question logic and reason and to sow mistrust toward exactly the people we need to rely on.
其目标是让人们质疑逻辑和推理,从而最终开始猜忌那些我们最需要依靠的人:

Our leaders, the press, experts who seek to guide public policy based on evidence, even ourselves.
领导人、媒体、试图以科学实证启示公共政策的专家、甚至是我们自己。

Just this week former, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, said if our leaders seek to conceal the truth
就在这周,前国务卿雷克斯·蒂勒森说,如果我们的领导人想要掩盖事实,

or we, as people, become accepting of alternative realities that are no longer grounded in facts.
或者我们人民习惯了接受与证据无关的、虚假的真实,

Then we as American citizens are on a pathway to relinquish or freedom, perhaps Italia's late , but it's absolutely right.
我们终将自己放弃自己的自由。

So how do we build democratic resilience.
那么我们要怎么构建民主制度的坚韧?

I think it starts with standing up for truth facts and reason,
我们应该首先开始支持真相和逻辑,

not just in the classroom and on campus,
不仅仅在学术讨论中这样做,

but every day in our lives.
而是要在我们的生活中时时刻刻践行这个理念。

It means speaking out about the vital role of higher education in our society to create opportunity and equality.
我们应该认识到高等教育在创造机会、推动平等中的重要作用。

It means calling out actual fake news when we see it and supporting brave journalists and their reporting.
我们要打击虚假新闻,并支持勇敢、负责任的新闻工作者和他们的报道,

Maybe even by subscribing to a newspaper.
比如通过订阅一份报纸。

Now most of all, as obvious as it seems, it means voting in every election, not just at the presidential ones.
最重要也最显而易见的是,去投票,在不仅仅是总统选举的每一次选举中投票。

So, yes.
是的。

These are challenging times for America.
我们处在一个富有挑战性的时代。

But we've come through challenging times before you know.
但是我们曾经经历过许多挑战。

I think back to the night Barack Obama was elected president, many of us, so many of us were jubilant

even I who had once hoped to beat him was estatic.
奥巴马当选总统的那晚我们许多人都充满希望,甚至包括我自己—他的党内对手。

It was such a hopeful moment and yet in some ways this moment feels even more hopeful,
但是从某种意义上说,我们今天应该比当时更充满希望。

because this is a battle-hardened hope tempered by loss and clear-eyed about the stakes.
因为我们经历过逆境冲刷和实战考验的,清晰的希望。

We are standing up to policies that hurt people.
我们鲜明反对那些伤害人民的政策,

You're standing up for all people being treated with dignity.
我们要为了每一个人的尊严而战。

We are doing the work to translate those feelings into action.
我们要将我们的情感转化为行动。

And the fact that some days it is really hard to keep at, it just makes it that much more remarkable that so many of us are in fact keeping at it.
那些所有令人难以前行的苦难使得我们共同的坚持变得格外可贵。

It's not easy to wade back into the fight every day but we're doing it.
夜以继日的奋斗是极其困难的,但是我们做到了。

And that's why I am optimistic,
我因此变得乐观,

because of how unbelievably tough Americans are proving to be.
因为你们展现了美国人民令人难以置信的坚毅和力量。

I've encountered lots of people in recent months who give me hope,
我近几个月遇到的许多人和事都给了我希望:

the Parkland students who endured unthinkable tragedy and have responded with courage and resolve.
帕克兰的学生以勇气和决心面对常人难以想象的校园惨案;

The leaders and groups I've gotten to know through outward together an organization I started after the election to encourage the outpouring of grassroots engagement
通过我选举后创办的组织"共同向前",我认识了许多社会运动团体和领导人,并和他们共同激励草根层面的政治参与。

that we're seeing everyone who is marching registering voters and diving into the issues facing us like never before, some for the very first time in their lives.
他们鼓励选民参加投票或事调研自己所关心的政治议题。许多人自此开始了人生中第一次真正意义上的政治活动。

And I find hope in the wave of women running for office and winning.
一波又一波的女性参加选举并赢得政治席位。

And hope and the women and men who are dismantling the notion that women should have to endure harassment and violence as a part of our lives.
男性和女性携手改变女性遭受性骚扰和性暴力的现状。

So we have a long way to go.
我们还有很长的路要走。

There are many fights to fight and more seem to rise every day.
很多的仗要打;很多的事情要去改变。

It will take work to keep up the pressure to stay vigilant.
我们需要格外注意才能保持斗志和警惕。

Neither close our eyes nor numb our hearts or throw up our hands and say someone else take over from here,
不要闭上眼睛,不要让我们的心变得僵硬、不要想撒手让别人来帮忙。

because at this moment in our history, our country depends on every citizen believing in the power of their actions, even when that power is invisible;
在这个历史节点,只有每一个人都相信自己行动的力量,而不论我们的力量看上去多么渺小,

and their efforts feel like an uphill battle of every citizen voting in every election even when your side loses;
我们的目标看上去多么遥远,每一个人不论自己支持的候选人是否胜利都去投票;

It is a matter of infinite faith. This faith we have in the ability to govern ourselves to come together to make honourable practical compromise in the pursuit of ends that will lift us all up and move us forward.
每一个人都对自治自决充满信念并愿意作出实际的让步来实现普惠的目标,我们的国家才有希望。

So yes, we need to pace ourselves, but also lean on each other look for the good wherever we can celebrate heroes and courage children find ways to disagree respectfully.
是的,我们需要调整步调、彼此依靠,共同寻找美,寻找善,寻找勇气,寻找英雄。我们需要学会在尊重彼此的前提下讨论争议。

We need to be ready to lose some fights because we will.
我们要做好失败的心理准备,因为我们必然会经历失败。

As John McCain recently reminded us, no Just Cause is futile even if it's lost what matters.
就想约翰麦凯恩最近提醒我们的那样:正义的信念即使迷失,也永不会脆弱。

What matters is to keep going no matter what keep going.
不论发生了什么,最重要的是我们一直坚持前行。

The Yale your graduating from is very different from the Yale I graduated from.
今天的耶鲁和五十年前的耶鲁天差地别,

It's different even from the Yale that welcomed you four years ago.
甚至与四年前也是大不相同。

Four years ago, not one of Yale's colleges was named after a woman.
四年前,耶鲁没有一所学院以女性命名。

Today's students are carrying on the legacy of a trailblazing LGBT civil rights activist at Pauli Murray College;
而今天,默里学院纪念着伟大的性少数平权活动家保莉·默里的伟大成就;

and celebrating one of Yale's own hidden figures at Grace Hopper college named after the naval officer who happened to be one of the first computer programmers in America;
格蕾丝·霍珀学院纪念了耶鲁毕业生、海军第一批计算机工程师之一格蕾丝·霍珀。

Those changes didn't happen on their own.
这些改变不是自动发生的。

You made them possible. You kept fighting. You kept the faith.
是你们的不懈斗争带来了这些改变。

And because of that, in the end, you changed Yale as much as Yale changed you.
所以我说在耶鲁改变了你们的同时,你们也在改变着耶鲁。

And now it's time for you to make your mark on the world.
现在就是你们去改变世界的时候了。

I know the best, the best for you, for Yale and for America is yet to come,
我相信你们最好的时代、耶鲁最好的时代和美国最好的时代都在将来,

and you each will have a role to play and a contribution to make.
而你们每一个人都将带领世界走向这更美好的未来。

Thank you and congratulations to the class of 2018.
谢谢!恭喜2018届的毕业生!

↓回帖下载资源↓

游客,如果您要查看本帖隐藏内容请【回复】

回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2018-7-19 22:31:42 | 显示全部楼层
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2018-8-13 17:11:24 | 显示全部楼层
thank you for sharing
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2018-8-16 17:42:38 | 显示全部楼层
感谢分享
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2018-8-17 15:00:11 来自手机 | 显示全部楼层
好耶,我也是
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2018-8-18 15:08:15 来自手机 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢分享
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2018-10-24 16:37:39 | 显示全部楼层
Thanks for sharing
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2018-10-24 16:52:54 | 显示全部楼层
我要看要看
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2018-10-25 09:50:58 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢分享
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2018-10-26 09:04:18 | 显示全部楼层
想看。。。。。。。。。。。。。
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

客服微信|Archiver|手机版|口译网    

GMT+8, 2024-3-29 17:35 , Processed in 0.065498 second(s), 19 queries .