立即注册
CATTI英语一二三级口笔译备考课基础口译课:职业译员带你系统学口译实战口译笔记法:从精通到入行同声传译:职业译员同传实战入门
点击购买获取口译网网站注册邀请码口译自己怎么练 微信就能天天练!独家口译教学训练备考实战精华语料库关注口译网公众号 订阅最新口译资料
查看: 24579|回复: 20

[社会] 2017-03-08 安妮·海瑟薇联合国国际妇女日纪念活动主旨演讲

[复制链接]
发表于 2017-9-8 20:12:22 来自手机 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
打卡上传录音
Keynote Address by UN Women Goodwill Ambassador Anne Hathaway at the UN Official Commemoration of International Women's Day
8 March 2017, New York

联合国妇女亲善大使安妮·海瑟薇在纽约联合国国际妇女日纪念活动的主旨演讲
2017年3月8日,纽约

↓回帖下载视频及双语文本↓

游客,如果您要查看本帖隐藏内容请【回复】

President of the General Assembly, United Nations,
UN Deputy Secretary-General,
Executive Director, UN Women,
Distinguished ladies and gentlemen,

联合国大会主席,
联合国副秘书长,
联合国妇女署执行主席,
女士们、先生们:

When I was a very young person, I began my career as an actress. Whenever my mother wasn't free to drive me into Manhattan for auditions, I would take the train from suburban New Jersey and meet my father — who would have left his desk at the law office where he worked — and we would meet under the Upper Platform Arrival(s) and Departure(s) sign in Penn Station. We would then get on the subway together and when we surfaced, he would ask me, "Which way is north?" I wasn't very good at finding north in the beginning, but I auditioned fair amount and so my Dad kept asking me, "Which way is north?" Over time, I got better at finding it.

当我还很年轻的时候,我就开始了我的演员生涯。我妈妈一没有空带我去曼哈顿试镜时,我就会在新泽西郊区乘坐火车去见我的父亲。他也会放下他的法务工作,离开办公室。我们会在佩恩车站月台的指示牌下碰面,然后一起上地铁。当我们坐下时,他会问我:“哪里是北?”我一开始不太擅长找北,但我经常试镜,而且我父亲一直会问我:“哪里是北方?”久而久之,我就开始熟练了。

I was struck by that memory yesterday while boarding the plane to come here — not just by how far my life has come since then, but by how meaningful that seemingly small lesson has been. When I was still a child, my father developed my sense of direction and now, as an adult, I trust my ability to navigate space. My father helped give me the confidence to guide myself through the world.

昨天登机来这里的时候,我一直在会想那段记忆。不仅是因为之后我的人生经历,还是因为那小小的教训给我带来的重大意义。当我还是小孩的时候,我父亲帮助我增强了我的方向感。而如今,作为一个成年人,我相信自己的方向感。是我的父亲帮助我,给了我穿行世界的信心。

In late March, last year, 2016, I became a parent for the first time. I remember the indescribable — and as I understand it pretty universal — experience of holding my week-old son and feeling my priorities change on a cellular level.

2016年3月末,我初为人母。我还记得抱着我一周大的儿子时那种无法言喻的感受,我觉得生命中的头等大事从根本上发生了改变,我知道这是大家都有的感受。

Like so many parents, I wondered how I was going to balance my work with my new role as a parent, and in that moment, I remember that the statistic for the US's policy on maternity leave flashed in my mind.

像很多父母那样,我考虑着该如何在工作和为人父母方面寻得平衡。那一刻,美国关于产假政策的数据在我脑海中闪现。

American women are currently entitled to 12 weeks unpaid leave. American men are entitled to nothing.

目前,美国女性享有12周无薪产假的权利,而美国男性在这方面却什么都没有。

I remember thinking to myself, "If the practical reality of pregnancy is another mouth to feed in your home, and America is a country where most people are living paycheck to paycheck, how does 12 weeks unpaid leave economically work?"

我当时就想,“如果怀孕面临的现实就是家里多了一张嘴,而美国又是一个大多数人依靠薪水度日的国家,那么这12周无薪假如何能让人在经济上维系下去?”

The truth is: for too many people, it doesn't.

真相是:对于多数人而言,这是无法负担的。

One in four American women go back to work two weeks after giving birth because they can't afford to take any more time off than that. That is 25 per cent of American women.

4个美国女性中就有1个在产后2周内回归工作岗位,因为她们承担不起更长时间的产假。这可占了美国女性总数的25%。

Equally disturbing, women who can afford to take the full 12 weeks often don't, because it will mean incurring a "motherhood penalty" — meaning they will be perceived as less dedicated to their job and will be passed over for promotions and other career advancement.

同样令人不安的是,那些可以休满12周产假的女性却通常选择不这么做。因为休产假会招致“为人母的惩罚”,意味着她们会被认为事业心不强,从而错失升职机会和其他职场晋升。

In other words, in order to liberate women, we need to liberate men.

换言之,想要解放女性,我们也需要解放男性。

Paid parental leave is not about taking days off work; it's about creating the freedom to define roles, to choose how to invest time, and to establish new, positive cycles of behavior.

带薪休产假不是休假不工作这么简单,它是给予人定义角色的自由,去选择怎样分配时间,养成新的、积极的行为模式。

Maternity leave, or any workplace policy based on gender, can — at this moment in history — only ever be a gilded cage. Though it was created to make life easier for women, we now know it creates a perception of women as being inconvenient to the workplace. We now know it chains men to an emotionally limited path.

产假,或任何基于性别的职场制度,目前来看不过是镀金牢笼。虽然,这些制度是为了让女性生活得更容易一点,但我们现在知道,它给人造成一种印象,即职场有女性很不方便。同时,它还限制了男性情感的表达。

Paid parental leave does more than give more time for parents to spend with their kids. It changes the story of what children observe, and will, from themselves, imagine possible.

带薪产假能够带来的不仅是让父母有更多时间陪伴孩子,它更是改变了孩子们的认知,让他们从自身出发想象无限可能。

In my own country, the United States — currently, the only high income country in the world without paid maternity, let alone parental leave.

我的祖国美国,目前是世界上唯一一个没有女性带薪产假的高收入国家,更别提育婴双亲假了。

Every generation must find their north.

每一代人都要找到自己的方向。

When women around the world demanded the right to vote, we took a fundamental step towards equality. North.

当全世界的女性要求投票权的时候,我们向平等迈出了基础性的一步。这就是方向。

When same-sex marriage was passed in the US, we put an end to a discriminatory law. North.

当同性婚姻在美国获得批准的时候,我们为歧视性法律画上了句号。这就是方向。

When millions of men and boys, and prime ministers, and the President of the General Assembly, when men in this room and around the world — the ones we cannot see, the ones who support us in ways we cannot know but we feel — when they answered Emma Watson's call to be HeForShe, the world grew. North.

当数以百万计的男人和男孩、首相、联合国大会主席、今天在座的各位及世界各地的男性——虽然我们看不到他们,虽然他们在以未知的方式支持着我们,但我们都能感受到那种支持,当他们响应艾玛·沃森HeForShe的号召时,这世界就进步了。这就是方向。

We must ask ourselves, how will we be more tomorrow than we are today?

我们必须要扪心自问,我们要怎样做才能让明天比今天更好?

The whole world grows when people like you and me take a stand, because we know that beyond the idea of how women and men are different, there is a deeper truth that love is love, and parents are parents.

当像你我这样的人站出来发声,这世界就进步了。因为我们深知,在超越男女性别差异的观念之后,有一个更深层的真理:爱就是爱,父母就是父母。  

Thank you.

谢谢!

↓回帖下载视频及双语文本↓

游客,如果您要查看本帖隐藏内容请【回复】
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2017-10-23 14:54:39 | 显示全部楼层
海瑟薇棒棒哒!
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2019-3-14 10:51:34 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢分享
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2019-3-26 15:11:19 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢分享
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2019-3-28 11:14:35 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢分享!
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2019-3-28 13:59:20 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢分享
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2019-8-26 11:18:09 | 显示全部楼层
非常感谢楼主分享!
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2019-8-30 22:06:19 | 显示全部楼层
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2019-8-31 10:25:28 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢分享
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2019-8-31 13:00:45 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢分享
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

客服微信|Archiver|手机版|口译网    

GMT+8, 2024-3-29 03:34 , Processed in 0.055773 second(s), 21 queries .