by Hillary Rodham Clinton, Secretary of State
Ben Franklin Room
Washington, DC
January 24, 2013

美国国务卿希拉里·罗德姆·克林顿就成立“10万人留学中国计划基金会”发表的讲话
2013年1月24日
本杰明·富兰克林厅
华盛顿哥伦比亚特区

Thank you. Well, we’re all getting a little emotional and sentimental around here – (laughter) – with about a little over a week to go in my tenure. And I am so pleased to welcome all of you here. I see many, many familiar faces and some good friends in this audience.

谢谢。我们大家在这里都有点激动和动感情——(笑声)——再过一个多星期我就要离任了。我非常高兴欢迎各位到来。我在你们当中看到许许多多熟悉的面孔,还有些好朋友。

And I particularly want to thank Assistant Secretary Kurt Campbell for driving not only this program, but so much that we have accomplished in the last four years to deepen and strengthen our relationship with China and others in the region, but particularly with China, as it is such a consequential relationship, one that we believe so strongly in. Ambassador Zhang, once again, welcome to the State Department. Because it is, for us, a way of making clear that our relations, government-to-government, are obviously essential. But it is those people-to-people ties that are going to determine the quality of the relationship for the future.

我要特别感谢助理国务卿库尔特·坎贝尔不仅为这个项目,而且为在过去四年中我们为深化和加强我们与中国及该地区其他国家——但主要是中国——的关系取得的许多成就所发挥的推动作用,因为这是如此意义重大的关系,我们对它如此深信。张大使,再次欢迎您光临国务院。因为,这以一种方式表明我们的关系——政府对政府的关系——明显地极其重要。然而,决定这一关系未来质量的将是那些人民对人民的联系。

Our engagement with China today deals with a wide range of the most pressing challenges and the most exciting opportunities. And when we began looking at ways to make our exchanges with China more productive, we of course ramped up our diplomatic engagement. We took delegations of investors and entrepreneurs to China. We institutionalized the Strategic and Economic Dialogue. We are very clear that what we’ve tried to build, an architecture that will stand the test of time regardless of what is going on in either of our countries, has been an essential effort.

我们今天与中国的接触涉及多方面最迫切的挑战以及最令人兴奋的机遇。当我们开始寻求如何才能使与中国的交流更有成效时,我们当然增加了外交接触。我们带投资者和企业家代表团到中国。我们将战略与经济对话制度化。我们非常明确,我们在努力建立的——一种无论两国各自国内动态如何能够经得起时间考验的架构——是一项根本性的努力。

And in 2010, we launched the 100,000 Strong Initiative. And as Kurt said, this is aimed at increasing the number of American students studying in China to 100,000 over four years. We focused on student exchanges because we believe that the future is very clearly in the hands of the young people of both of our countries. And the more we can foster exchanges and understanding, mutual trust, the better off not only the relationship will be, but each of our countries individually. We have to have far more than conversations with diplomats or journalists or leaders or businesspeople. There’s nothing more important than trying to build a structure of exchanges between us when it comes to students and other young people.

2010年,我们发起了“10万人留学中国计划”。正如库尔特所说,这项计划旨在在四年时间内将美国学生到中国留学的人数增加到10万人。我们把重点放在学生交换上,因为我们相信,未来显然掌握在我们两国的年轻人手中。而我们越是能够增进交流和理解以及相互信任,就越对不仅两国关系、而且对我们两国各自有益。我们必须大大超越与外交官、记者、领导人或企业家对话的范畴。对学生和其他年轻人而言,没有什么比努力在我们之间建立一个交流结构来得更重要。

Now, we’ve made tremendous progress since 2010. We’ve already expanded study abroad programs. We’ve supported scholarship funds to help American students from underserved communities study in China. We’ve worked with EducationUSA to provide tools and resources for Chinese students seeking to study here. And the number of students coming between our two countries continues to grow. But we still have a lot of room for improvement.

自2010年以来,我们已经取得了巨大的进展。我们扩大了海外留学计划。我们为奖学金提供了支持,帮助来自缺少机会的社区的美国学生到中国学习。我们与美国教育咨询中心合作,为中国学生提供来这里学习的手段和资源。我们两国间互往的学生人数持续增长。但是,我们仍然有很多改进的余地。

So I’m happy today that we’re launching a permanent, independent nonprofit organization focused not only on our goal of 100,000 American students in China by 2014, but on continuing to strengthen the student exchanges for years to come. And I’m so grateful to all of our State Department partners who are here today who have helped put the 100,000 Strong Foundation together.

因此,我今天很高兴看到我们将成立一个永久性的、独立的非营利性组织,不仅致力于到2014年使美国学生在中国留学人数达到10万的目标,而且将不断在未来岁月中增进学生交换。我在此衷心感谢今天在座的曾帮助共同创立“10万人留学中国计划基金会”的国务院的所有合作伙伴。

As I think back on the four years that I’ve been privileged to serve as Secretary of State, there are moments that just jump out of my memory bank. And one of them is when I finally got to our pavilion at the Shanghai Expo, which, as a number of you know, I am very proud to be called the mother of whenever I go to China because of the circumstances in which it was birthed. (Laughter.) But when I did get there for this magnificent expo that had been built up with pavilions from around the world and a magnificent Chinese pavilion, I was thrilled that the main attraction of our USA Pavilion were American students who had been studying Chinese, who were our designated hosts and greeters.

回顾过去四年我有幸担任国务卿的岁月,有些时刻会立即显现在眼前。其中之一是,在我抵达我们在上海世博会的展馆——此事你们不少人都知道——每当我到访中国——由于展馆诞生的经历——我都会被冠以妈妈的称呼(笑声)。但是当我确实到了那里,参观那个建有世界各地展馆和一座宏伟的中国馆的世博会时,让我感到极其兴奋的是,我们美国馆最吸引人的是那些一直在学汉语的美国学生,他们是我们指定的展馆接待员和礼宾员。

And I had the best time watching long lines of Chinese citizens who were coming to see our pavilion like they had been coming to see all of the pavilions looking surprised when some little African American girl would come up and start talking to them in Chinese, or some big tall Hispanic youngster would give them directions about how to go through the pavilion, or some other child – child; I’m so old, they’re all children – (laughter) – but some other student would come up and say something similar. And it was wonderful to watch the interchange. And I talked to some of the students. “Where were you from?” “Oh, from LA.” “Where are you from?” “Oh, from New York City.” And so many of these young people were first-generation college students in America who had just become taken with China, and so they were studying Chinese and now they were there as official representatives of the United States Government.

观看排长队等候参观我国展馆的中国人是让我非常开心的经历,那些前来参观所有展馆的人在看到一位非洲裔美国小女孩走上前去开始用汉语同他们说话时一脸惊讶,或某个高大的西班牙裔小伙子为他们指路,告诉他们如何在展馆里参观,或其他哪个孩子——孩子,因为我这么大年纪,所以他们都是些孩子(笑声)——某个学生会走上来,说些类似的事情。目睹这些交流真是好极了。我同其中的一些学生聊起来。“你从哪里来?”“哦,洛杉矶。”“你从哪里来?”“哦,纽约市。”这些年轻人中,有许多是刚刚被中国吸引的美国第一代大学生,他们正在学习汉语,而此刻他们成了美国政府在那里的正式代表。

I say that because that’s what we want to see more of. We want to see Chinese youngsters here, American youngsters in China, and we want to see them breaking down the barriers that exist between any peoples from different cultures and experiences and histories and backgrounds. And I think that will happen because in ways that were unimaginable just a few years ago, young people in both China and the United States are global citizens. They are communicating with new tools of technology that were not even dreamt of a decade ago. And so they are already building cyber or Internet relationships, and we want to give them a chance to form the real deal – getting to know each other, getting to understand each other.

我说这些,是因为这就是我们希望能更多看到的情况。我们希望在这里看到中国的年轻人,而在中国能看到美国的年轻人,我们希望他们能够打破任何存在于不同文化、经历、历史、背景的人之间的障碍。我认为这会实现,因为中美两国的年轻人已经以仅在短短几年前还不可想象的方式变成全球公民。他们在用十年前想都想不到的新技术工具进行交流。因此他们已经在建立网际或因特网关系了,而我们希望给他们一个机会去形成一种货真价实的关系——相互认识,相互理解。

So I’m thrilled that we’re announcing this foundation. I thank everyone here at the State Department and all of our partners who are making this possible. And I’m also very excited because this is a perfect example of a public-private partnership, and nobody does it better than the United States. We really are good at this because we have a long tradition of understanding that we have to have both government action and government involvement, but where most of life takes place in our country is not there; it’s outside of government. It’s in these other institutions – colleges and universities, foundations and philanthropies, individual efforts of all kind. So we are deeply grateful that you have understood our vision for 100,000 Strong and are making it a reality.

所以我们宣布这个基金会的成立让我特别高兴。我感谢国务院在座各位以及所有促成此事的所有合作伙伴。另一个令我兴奋的原因是,这是政府-民间伙伴关系的一个完美实例,没有谁比美国做得更好。这一点的确是我们所擅长的,因为我们有着悠久的传统,即理解我们必须既有政府行动也有政府参与,但我国的大部分生活并不在政府范畴内,而是在政府之外,是在其他机制中——高等院校、基金会和慈善机构,以及通过个人的种种努力。因此,我们对于你们理解我们的“10万人留学中国计划”愿景并正在使其成为现实深表感谢。

And with that, let me turn it back to Assistant Secretary Campbell. Thank you all. (Applause.)

就此,让我把话筒还给助理国务卿坎贝尔。谢谢大家(掌声)。

↓下载资源↓
游客,如果您要查看本帖隐藏内容请【回复】
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2017-8-23 16:08:57 | 显示全部楼层
非常感谢!!!!!
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2019-12-18 06:10:23 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢分享
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2019-12-22 09:37:33 来自手机 | 显示全部楼层
感谢分享
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2019-12-27 15:28:18 | 显示全部楼层
213213发的范德萨范德萨
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2020-9-6 18:33:59 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢分享
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

客服微信|Archiver|手机版|口译网    

GMT+8, 2024-3-29 23:08 , Processed in 0.059952 second(s), 19 queries .