David Cameron's Final Speech Before Scotland Goes to the Polls in Referendum
Aberdeen, Scotland
15 Sep 2014

英国首相卡梅伦在苏格兰独立公投前的最后一次演说
苏格兰 阿伯丁
2014年9月15日

OUR COUNTRY AT STAKE

国家危机

We meet in a week that could change the United Kingdom forever. Indeed, it could end the United Kingdom as we know it. On Thursday, Scotland votes, and the future of our country is at stake. On Friday, people could be living in a different country, with a different place in the world and a different future ahead of it. This is a decision that could break up our family of nations, and rip Scotland from the rest of the UK.

我们聚集在一起的这一周将可能永远地改变英国的命运,甚至,我们所熟悉的大不列颠联合王国可能就将结束了。本周四,当苏格兰公投开始后,我们国家的命运将面临危机。到了星期五,人民将可能生活在不同的国家里,在这个世界上的另一个地方,未来充满变数。这个决定足以使我们的国家分崩离析,将苏格兰从英国撕裂开来。

And we must be very clear. There’s no going back from this. No re-run. This is a once-and-for-all decision. If Scotland votes yes, the UK will split, and we will go our separate ways forever. When people vote on Thursday they are not just voting for themselves, but for their children and grandchildren and the generations beyond. So I want to speak directly to the people of this country today about what is at stake.

我们必须非常明白,开弓没有回头箭。这是一个永久性的决定,没有再来一次的机会。如果苏格兰公投获得通过,英国将会分裂,我们将走上不同的道路。当民众在周四投票的时候,他们不仅仅是为自己而投,也是为了他们的子女,子女的子女,以及后世几代而投。所以现在我要直接告诉你们大家,到底什么危机在等待着我们。

UNITED KINGDOM

联合王国

I speak for millions of people across England, Wales and Northern Ireland – and many in Scotland, too, who would be utterly heart-broken by the break-up of the United Kingdom. Utterly heart-broken to wake up on Friday morning to the end of the country we love, to know that Scots would no longer join with the English, Welsh and Northern Irish in our Army, Navy and Air Force, in our UK-wide celebrations and commemorations, in UK sporting teams from the Olympics to the British Lions.

我为百万名住在英格兰、威尔士和北爱尔兰,以及许多的苏格兰人发声,我们都为联合王国的分崩离析而伤心难过,为在星期五早晨醒来而我们所敬爱的祖国已终结而痛心,为苏格兰人不再和英格兰人、威尔士人和北爱尔兰人一起加入我们的陆军、海军和空军而痛心,为苏格兰不再参加我们的纪念和庆祝活动,也不再成为我们奥林匹克运动队和英格兰雄狮的一员而痛心。

The United Kingdom would be no more. No UK pensions, no UK passports, no UK pound. The greatest example of democracy the world has ever known, of openness, of people of different nationalities and faiths coming together as one, would be no more.

联合王国将不复存在。我们将没有联合王国派发的养老金,没有联合王国的护照,没有英镑。这个世界上最伟大的民主国家,以开放,民族和宗教多样性而闻名的国家也将消失。

It would be the end of a country that launched the Enlightenment, that abolished slavery, that drove the industrial revolution, that defeated fascism; the end of a country that people around the world respect and admire; the end of a country that all of us call home.

这将是一个发起了启蒙运动,废除了奴隶制,推动了工业革命发展,并且击败了法西斯的国家的末日,也是全世界的民众都尊敬崇拜的国家的末日,更是我们称呼它为家园的国家的末日。

And we built this home together. It’s only become Great Britain because of the greatness of Scotland. Because of the thinkers, writers, artists, leaders, soldiers, inventors who have made this country what it is. It’s Alexander Fleming and David Hume; J.K. Rowling and Andy Murray, and all the millions of people who have played their part in this extraordinary success story, the Scots who led the charge on pensions and the NHS and on social justice. We did all this together.

这是我们共同建立起的国家。它被称作大不列颠正是因为有了伟大的苏格兰,正因为有了那些思想家、作家、艺术家、领袖、将领和发明家,这些人里,包括了亚历山大·弗莱明、大卫·休姆、J.K.罗琳、安迪·穆雷和许许多多在波澜壮阔的历史长河中做出贡献的人。除此之外,苏格兰人也推动了全国养老金、国民健康保险制度和社会正义的实现。这些我们都一同努力过。

For the people of Scotland to walk away now would be like painstakingly building a home – and then walking out the door and throwing away the keys. So I would say to everyone voting on Thursday, please remember. This isn’t just any old country. This is the United Kingdom. This is our country.

对于那些想离开英国的苏格兰人来说,这正像辛辛苦苦建立了一个家,然后走出家门,扔掉钥匙不再回去。所以,我要对在星期四进行公投的每一个人说,请记住,这不仅仅是个古老的国度,这是大不列颠和北爱尔兰联合王国,也是我们的祖国。

And you know what makes us truly great? It’s not our economic might or military prowess – it’s our values. British values. Fairness. Freedom. Justice. The values that say wherever you are, whoever you are, your life has dignity and worth. The values that say we don’t walk on by when people are sick; that we don’t ask for your credit card in the hospital; that we don’t turn our backs when you get old and frail; that we don’t turn a blind eye or a cold heart to people around the world who are desperate and crying out for help.

你们知道是什么让我们变得强大吗?不是我们的经济体量和军事实力,而是我们的价值观,不列颠价值观——公平、自由和公正。这些价值观让你无论在哪儿,无论是谁,都能生活得富足而有尊严。我们不会对病痛的人漠不关心,也不会在生死攸关的时候向钱看齐,我们不会对年长者和弱者置之不理,更不会对世界上那些绝望和需要帮助的人们视而不见。

This is what Britain means. This is what makes us the greatest country on earth. And it’s why millions of us could not bear to see that country ending – for good, for ever – on Friday.

这就是大不列颠的意义,它让我们成为了世界上最伟大的国家。也正因为如此,数以白万计的我们不能眼睁睁看着它在星期五永远,永远的结束。

CONSEQUENCES

后果

Now I know that there are many people across Scotland who are planning to vote Yes. I understand why this might sound appealing. It’s the promise of something different. I also know that the people who are running the Yes campaign are painting a picture of a
Scotland that is better in every way, and they can be good at painting that picture.

现在,我知道,很多苏格兰人计划在星期五投出赞成票。我也明白这为何如此吸引人,它是一种变革的承诺。我还知道推动苏格兰公投的人在每一个方面都为苏格兰绘制了一幅美丽的蓝图,他们很擅长这么做。

But when something looks too good to be true – that’s usually because it is. And it is my duty to be clear about the likely consequences of a Yes Vote. Independence would not be a trial separation. It would be a painful divorce.

但是,当事情看起来美好得不真实时,那通常意味着虚幻。而我的职责所在让我必须为各位阐述清楚公投成功的后果。独立并不是一场临时分居,而将是痛苦的离婚。

And as Prime Minister I have to tell you what that would mean. It would mean we no longer share the same currency. It would mean the armed forces we have built up together over centuries being split up forever. It would mean our pension funds sliced up – at some cost. It would mean the borders we have would become international and may no longer be so easily crossed. It would mean the automatic support that you currently get from British embassies when you’re travelling around the world would come to an end. It would mean over half of Scottish mortgages suddenly, from one day to the next, being provided by banks in a foreign country. It would mean that interest rates in Scotland are no longer set by the Bank of England – with the stability and security that promises. It would mean – for any banks that remain in Scotland – if they ever got in trouble it would be Scottish taxpayers and Scottish taxpayers alone that would bear the costs. It would mean that we no longer pool resources across the whole of the UK to pay for institutions like the NHS or our welfare system.

作为英国首相,我必须告诉你们那意味着什么。意味着我们将不再使用同一种货币;意味着我们花费了几百年建立起来的军事武装将永远的分裂开;意味着我们必须付出一些代价来将养老金做分割;意味着我们的边界线将变更为国界,往来也不再那么容易;意味着当你们在世界各地穿行的时候,不列颠领事馆也将不再提供的各种支持;意味着超过一半的苏格兰房贷提供者说不定哪一天就变成了外国银行;意味着苏格兰的银行利率将不再由英国央行制定,并提供稳定和安全的保障;意味着对于那些仍留在苏格兰境内的银行,他们如果遇到问题,就只能和苏格兰纳税人打交道,并且由苏格兰人来承担所有的税费;也意味着我们不再集中整个英国的资源来支付社会福利和国民健康保险。

This is not guesswork. There are no question marks, no maybe this or maybe that. The Nationalists want to break up UK funding on pensions, the UK funding of healthcare, the UK funding and comprehensive protection on national security. These are the facts. This is what would happen. An end to the things we share together. And the people of Scotland must know these facts before they make this once-and-for-all decision.

这并不是猜测,也没有疑问和可能。那些民族主义者们妄图分割英国的养老金、健康保险、经费和国家健全的安保措施。这些就是事实,它们可能会发生,而一旦发生它们将终结我们所共有的一切。而苏格兰人民在下这个不可更改的决定前,必须知道这些事实。

To warn of the consequences is not to scare-monger. It is like warning a friend about a decision they might take that will affect the rest of their lives – and the lives of their children. I say all this because I don’t want the people of Scotland to be sold a dream that disappears.

提醒你们这些后果并不是在传播威胁恐吓。这就像是提醒一位朋友他所做出的决定将会影响他的余生,还有子子孙孙。我说这些是不希望苏格兰人民被一个将会消失的梦想所收买。

CHANGE

变革

Now I know that some people say: we’ve heard about the risks and the uncertainties, but we still want change. Look. The United Kingdom is not a perfect country – no country is. Of course we must constantly change and improve people’s lives. No-one is content while there are still children living in poverty. No-one is content while there are people struggling, and young people not reaching their potential.

现在我相信一些人会说,我们已经听到了关于风险和不确定的事情,但是我们依然希望看到改变。诚然,英国不是一个完美的国家——没有国家是完美的,我们必须不断的改革,来改善人民的生活。当一个社会中仍有孩子生活在贫困中时,当民众还在挣扎过活时,当年轻人没有达到自己潜能的时候,没有人会对此感到满意。

Yes, every political party is different. But we are all of us – Conservatives, Labour, Lib Dems, Nationalists – on a constant mission to change our country for the better. The question is: how do you get that change? For me it’s simple. You don’t get the change you want by ripping your country apart. You don’t get change by undermining your economy and damaging your businesses and diminishing your place in the world. But you can get real, concrete change on Thursday: if you vote No.

没错,任何一个政党都是不同的。但是,我们所有人,包括保守党、工党、自由民主党和民族主义者都有一个不变的使命,就是让我们的国家变得更好。而问题在于,如何变革?对于我来说,这很简单,你不能通过分裂国家、破坏经济、损害商业和降低国际地位来获得变革。如果你在星期四投了否定票,那你仍然可以获得真实的、具体的变化。

‘Business as usual’ is not on the ballot paper. The status quo is gone. This campaign has swept it away. There is no going back to the way things were. A vote for No means real change.

一切如常这个词并不存在于选票当中,形势已经改变了,是这场运动席卷了它。一切已经不可能回到当初,投否定票意味着真正的变革。

And we have spelled that change out in practical terms, with a plan and a process. If we get a No vote on Thursday, that will trigger a major, unprecedented programme of devolution with additional powers for the Scottish Parliament. Major new powers over tax, spending and welfare services. We have agreed a timetable for that stronger Scottish Parliament: a time-table to bring in the new powers that will go ahead if there is a No vote, a White Paper by November, put into draft legislation by January. This is a timetable that is now agreed by all the main political parties and set in stone, and I am prepared to work with all the main parties to deliver this during 2015.

我们已经拟定了一份计划和一张进程表,当中实际描述了这种变革。如果我们在星期四的公投中获得了否定的答案,那么这将引发重大的,前所未有的权利下放给苏格兰议会,主要包括税收、花销和福利等。我们也为更强大的苏格兰议会制定了一份时间表,一份可以使这项新政可以施行的时间表,如果场公投的答案是否定的话。在今年11月我们将会推出白皮书,到了明年1月份,法案草案就可以出台了。这份时间表由所有的主要政党讨论通过了,我也准备好了在2015与所有的主要政党同僚们一起推行它。

So a No vote actually means faster, fairer, safer and better change. And this is a vital point: Scotland is not an observer in the affairs of this country. Scotland is shaping and changing the United Kingdom for the better – more so today than at any point in the last three hundred years, and will continue to help shape the constitution of our country. And Scottish people can enjoy the additional powers its Parliament gives without losing the UK pension, the UK pound or the UK passport. Real change is Scotland’s for the taking.

所以,如果公投选“否”就意味着更快、更公平、更安全和更好的改变。而且,最重要的一点是,在这场事件中,苏格兰并不是一个旁观者。苏格兰正在让英国向着更好的方向改变,这改变比过去的300多年里的任何一天都要来得巨大,而且也能一直帮助我们塑造宪法。而苏格兰人民将会在享受他们的议会给予的额外权利的情况下,也不会被剥夺英国养老金、英镑和英国护照。真正的改变是苏格兰说了算。

The power to set your own course and make your own decisions with the security of being in the UK, without the risks of going it alone. It’s the best of both worlds.

你们也将享有自治的权利,在英国的安保环境下做出自己的选择,而不用冒着单打独斗的风险。这对我们双方来说都是最佳的方案。

Scotland’s identity is already strong. Strong Scottish culture, strong Scottish arts, a strong Church of Scotland. And in the last 15 years you have built a strong Scottish Parliament, not a fleeting institution but a permanent one.

苏格兰的身份已经很强大了,有强大的苏格兰文化、艺术和教会,在过去的15年里,你们建立了强大的苏格兰议会,它并不是一个临时的机构而是永久的。

So the vote on Thursday is not about whether Scotland is a nation. Scotland is a proud, strong, successful nation. The vote on Thursday is about two competing visions for Scotland’s future. The Nationalists’ vision of narrowing down, going it alone, breaking all ties with the UK. Or the patriotic vision of a strong Scottish nation allied to the rest of the United Kingdom, with its own stronger Scottish Parliament at its heart, and with the benefits of working together in the UK on jobs, pensions, healthcare funding, the currency, interest rates. It really is the best of both worlds, and it’s the best way to get real change and secure a better future for your children and grandchildren.

所以,星期四的公投不是决定苏格兰是否是一个国家——苏格兰是一个令人骄傲的、强大的、成功的公国,而是关于苏格兰命运的两种不同的声音。民族主主义者希望缩小国土面积,独立,并切断所有与英国的联系。而爱国者们希望建立一个与不列颠王国其他部分紧密相连的更强大的苏格兰,以更好的议会为核心,通过与英国在就业、养老、健康经费、货币和利率等方面的合作,获得更多的利益——这对于双方来说真是一个最好的方案,它可以在保障子孙后代的同时获得改革的机会。

FAMILY OF NATIONS

大家庭

And speaking of family – that is quite simply how I feel about this. We are a family. The United Kingdom is not one nation. We are four nations in a single country. That can be difficult, but it is wonderful.

说到家庭,我简单的认为,我们所有英国人都是一家。大不列颠不是一个单独的国家,我们是四个公国合成的一个整体。融合很困难,但结果也很令人惊叹。

Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Different nations, with individual identities,  competing with each other, even at times enraging each other, while still being so much stronger together.

苏格兰,英格兰,威尔士和北爱尔兰,不同的国度,独立的身份,互相竞争。即使我们曾对彼此怒目相向,但同时我们也组成了更强大的集体。

We are a family of nations. Why should the next generation of that family be forced to choose whether to identify only with Edinburgh or only with London; choose which embassy they want to go to when they are in trouble abroad; or pack their passport when they’re going to see friends and loved ones.

我们是一个大家庭。那为什么我们的下一代将要被迫选择是否与仅与爱丁堡,或者是伦敦站在一起?被迫在海外遇到困难的时候选择去哪家大使馆?或者当他们去看望朋友或爱人的时候选择去申领哪边的护照?

A family is not a compromise, or a second best, it is a magical identity, that makes us more together than we can ever be apart. So please – do not break this family apart.

一个家庭不是妥协退让,或者退居第二,而是一种神奇的身份,它让我们比我们分裂时更加团结。所以,我请求你们,不要将这个家庭撕裂开。

In human relations it’s almost never a good thing to turn away from each other, put up walls, score new lines on the map. Why would we take one Great Britain and turn it into separate smaller nations? What is that an answer to? How will that help the ambitious young people who want to make their mark on the world, or the pensioner who just wants security, or the family relying on jobs make in the UK?

在人类社会关系中,远离彼此,在彼此之间筑起围墙,在地图上画上新的边界通常都不是令人感到高兴的事情。那为什么我们要把一个大不列颠变成各自分散的小国家呢?这是为什么?这样对那些有抱负的年轻人,需要安全感的退休老人,和那些倚赖英国就业的家庭有什么好处呢?

Let no-one fool you that ‘Yes’ is a positive vision. It’s about dividing people, closing doors, making foreigners of our friends and family. This isn’t an optimistic vision. The optimistic vision is of our family of nations staying together, there for each other in the hard times, coming through to better times.

不要被“投赞成票是积极推动改革的举措”这种说法蒙蔽了双眼。这是关于分裂民众,关上大门,在我们的朋友和家庭中制造出外国人的问题。这不是一件积极的事儿。我们的大家庭应该团结在一起,渡过难关,朝着更美好的明天迈进。

We’ve just pulled through a great recession together. We’re moving forward together. The road has been long but it is finally leading upwards. And that’s why I ask you to vote No to walking away. Vote No – and you are voting for a bigger and broader and better future for Scotland; and you are investing in the future for your children and grandchildren.

我们刚刚一起经历了经济衰退,已经开始向前看了。虽然道路曲折漫长,但它一直向上,这就是为什么我希望你们投否定票。投否定票,你们是在投一个更大、更好、更强的苏格兰的未来,也是在为子孙后代投资。

PLEASE STAY

请留下来

So this is our message to the people of Scotland. We want you to stay. Head and heart and soul, we want you to stay. Please: don’t mix up the temporary and the permanent. Don’t think: I’m frustrated with politics right now, so I’ll walk out the door and never come back.

现在,我们要向所有苏格兰人发出通告:我们希望你们留下来,我们由衷的、真诚的希望你们留下来。请不要混淆了临时和永恒。请不要觉得:我对现行的政治体制失去了耐心,所以我就要走出这扇门,再也不回来。

If you don’t like me – I won’t be here forever. If you don’t like this Government – it won’t last forever. But if you leave the UK – that will be forever. Yes, the different parts of the UK don’t always see eye-to-eye. Yes, we need change – and we will deliver it. But to get that change, to get a brighter future, we don’t need to tear our country apart.

如果你们不喜欢我,不要紧,我不可能永远坐在这个位置上。如果你们不喜欢这届政府,不要紧,它也不可能存在一辈子。但如果你离开了英国,那将是件永远的事儿。没错,英国领土的各个部分不可能永远看法一致。是的,我们需要变革,而我们也会推动它。但是,为了实现这种变革,为了获得更加光明的未来,我们并不需要把国土一分为二。

In two days, this long campaign will be at an end. And as you stand in the stillness of the polling booth, I hope you will ask yourself this. Will my family and I truly be better off by going it alone? Will we really be more safe and secure? Do I really want to turn my back on the rest of Britain, and why is it that so many people across the world are asking: why would Scotland want to do that? Why?

还有两天,这场漫长的运动就将结束。当你伫立在投票站时,我希望你问问自己,单飞之后我和我的家庭真的能够变得更好吗?我们的生活真的会更安全,更有保障吗?我真的要抛弃英国其他地方的人民?为什么全世界的民众都在问:为什么苏格兰要这么做?为什么?

And if you don’t know the answer to these questions – then vote No. At the end of the day, all the arguments of this campaign can be reduced to a single fact. We are better together.

如果你不知道这些问题的答案,那么就投否定票吧。在公投那一天结束后,对于这场运动的所有争议都将浓缩成一个事实,我们在一起会更好。

So as you reach your final decision, please: Don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t be a proud Scot and a proud Brit. Don’t lose faith in what this country is – and what we can be. Don’t forget what a great United Kingdom you are part of. Don’t turn your backs on what is the best family of nations in the world and the best hope for your family in this world.

所以,当你下了最终决定时,请不要让任何人来告诉你:你不能同时成为一个骄傲的苏格兰人和一个骄傲的大不列颠人。也不要对这个国家,对我们的未来丧失信心。不要忘记你是伟大的英国的一部分,也不要放弃这个世界上最棒的大家庭,放弃你的家人在这个世界上最好的希望。

So please, from all of us: Vote to stick together. Vote to stay. Vote to save our United Kingdom.

所以,请我们所有人,投下否定票,投我们在一起,投票来拯救我们的联合王国。

↓下载资源↓

游客,如果您要查看本帖隐藏内容请【回复】
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2019-5-21 19:55:32 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢分享!
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2019-9-25 07:06:50 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢分享
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2019-12-15 19:03:08 | 显示全部楼层
感谢分享
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2020-4-8 17:54:59 | 显示全部楼层
卡梅伦在苏格兰独立公投前的最后一次演说
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

客服微信|Archiver|手机版|口译网    

GMT+8, 2024-3-28 18:09 , Processed in 0.049973 second(s), 19 queries .