点击购买获取口译网网站注册邀请码口译自己怎么练 微信就能天天练!独家口译教学训练备考实战精华语料库关注口译网公众号 订阅最新口译资料
查看: 19834|回复: 26

[时政] 2021-02-22 美国总统拜登就死于新冠病毒美国人超过50万的讲话

[复制链接]
发表于 2021-2-23 10:53:27 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
打卡上传录音
回帖下载完整视频、音频及双语文档:

游客,如果您要查看本帖隐藏内容请【回复】

Remarks by President Biden on the More Than 500,000 American Lives Lost to COVID-19
February 22, 2021

美国总统拜登就死于新冠病毒美国人超过50万的讲话
2021年2月22日

Each day, I receive a small card in my pocket that I carry with me in my schedule.  It shows the number of Americans who have been infected by or died from COVID-19.  Today, we mark a truly grim, heartbreaking milestone: 500,071 dead.  That’s more Americans who have died in one year in this pandemic than in World War One, World War Two, and the Vietnam War combined.  That’s more lives lost to this virus than any other nation on Earth.

每天,我的口袋里都会收到一张小卡片,随附在工作日程表中。它显示了感染或死于新冠病毒的美国人人数。今天,我们达到了一个真正严峻、令人心碎的时刻:500,071人死亡。这一年内死于这场流行病的美国人比第一次世界大战、第二次世界大战和越南战争加起来的人数还多,比地球上任何其他国家死于这种病毒的人数还多。

But as we acknowledge the scale of this mass death in America, we remember each person and the life they lived.  They’re people we knew.  They’re people we feel like we knew.  Read the obituaries and remembrances.  The son who called his mom every night just to check in.  The father’s daughter who lit up his world.  The best friend who was always there.  The nurse — the nurse and nurses — but the nurse who made her patients want to live.

但是,当我们承认美国大规模死亡的时候,我们没有忘记每个人以及他们的生活。他们是我们认识的人。他们是我们感同身受的人。读一下那些讣告和纪念文字。儿子每天晚上给妈妈打电话只是为了报个平安;女儿为父亲照亮了他的世界;还有一直陪在身边的好朋友;一心让病人想活下去的护士。

I was in — just in Kalamazoo, Michigan, at the Pfizer vaccine manufacturing facility.  There, I met a man when I walked in, whose father-in-law was dying of the virus.  He was sad.  I asked if I could call his father-in-law.  He said his father-in-law was too sick to speak.  But then he said, but could I pray for him — could I pray for him.

我当时在密歇根州卡拉马祖的辉瑞疫苗制造厂。在那里,我走进时遇到了一个男人,他的岳父感染病毒生命垂危。他很伤心。我问是否可以给他岳父打电话。他说他的岳父病得说不出话来。但随后他问我能为他祈祷吗?我可以为他祈祷吗?

We all know someone — fellow Americans who lived lives of struggle, of purpose, and of hope.  Who talked late into the night about their dreams; who wore the uniform, born to serve; who loved, prayed, and always offered a hand.

我们都知道有这样的人——我们的美国同胞,过着奋斗、有目标和希望的生活。深夜谈论他们的梦想;穿着制服,生来就是为了服务;热爱,祈祷,总是在别人困难时伸出援手。

We often hear people described as “ordinary Americans.”  There’s no such thing; there’s nothing ordinary about them.  The people we lost were extraordinary.  They spanned generations.  Born in America.  Immigrated to America.  But just like that, so many of them took final breath alone in America.

我们经常听到人们被描述为“普通的美国人”。根本没有这样的东西;没有什么平凡的人。我们失去的人是非凡的。他们跨越了几代人。出生在美国。移民到美国。但就这样,他们中的许多人在美国孤独逝去。

As a nation, we can’t accept such a cruel fate.  While we have been fighting this pandemic for so long, we have to resist becoming numb to the sorrow.  We have to resist viewing each life as a sta- — as a statistic or a blur or on the news.  And we must do so to honor the dead, but equally important, care for the living and those left behind.

作为一个民族,我们不能接受如此残酷的命运。虽然我们与这种流行病斗争了这么长时间,但我们不得不抵制对悲伤的麻木。我们必须抵制将每条生命视为统计数据、模糊的记忆或是新闻。我们必须这样做来纪念死者,但同样重要的是,要关心活着的人和那些留下的人。

For the loved ones left behind, I know all too well — I know what it’s like to not be there when it happens.  I know what it’s like when you are there, holding their hands.  There’s a look in your eye, and they slip away.  That black hole in your chest, you feel like you’re being sucked into it.  The survivor’s remorse.  The anger.  The questions of faith in your soul.

对于被遗弃的亲人来说,我很清楚——我知道当事情发生时不在那里是什么感觉。我知道你在那里牵着他们的手是什么感觉。你的眼睛里有一个眼神,他们就划过了。你胸前的那个黑洞,你感觉自己被吸进去了。幸存者的悔恨。愤怒。灵魂中对信仰的质问。

For some of you, it’s been a year, a month, a week, a day, even an hour.  And I know that when you stare at that empty chair around the kitchen table, it brings it all back, no matter how long ago it happened, as if it just happened that moment you looked at that empty chair.  The birthdays, the anniversaries, the holidays without them.  And the everyday things — the small things, the tiny things — that you miss the most.  That scent when you open the closet.  That park you go by that you used to stroll in.  That movie theater where you met.  The morning coffee you shared together.  The bend in his smile.  The perfect pitch to her laugh.

对你们中的一些人来说,时间过去了一年、一个月、一周、一天甚至一个小时。我知道,当你盯着厨房桌子周围的那把空椅子时,无论它发生在多久之前,都会把回忆带回来,就好像在你看着那把空椅子的那一刻发生一样。没有他们在身边的生日、纪念日以及假期。那些日常事物,小的事物,是你最想念的。当打开壁橱时闻到的那种气味。你们过去常去的那个公园。你们约会的那个影院。你们一起分享的早咖啡。他的笑容,她的笑声。

I received a letter from a daughter whose father died of COVID-19 on Easter Sunday last year.  She and her children — his grandchildren — enter Lent this season, a season of reflection and renewal, with heavy hearts.  Unable to properly mourn, she asked me in the letter, “What was our loss among so many others?”

我收到了一个女儿的一封信,她的父亲去年复活节周日死于新冠病毒。她和她的孩子们——他的孙子们——进入斋节,这是一个反思和更新的季节,心情沉重。由于难以正常哀悼,她在信中问我:“我们在这么多中失去了什么?”

Well, that’s what has been so cruel.  So many of the rituals that help us cope, that help us honor those we loved, haven’t been available to us.  The final rites with family gathered around.  The proper homegoing, showered with stories and love.  Tribal leaders passing [with]out the final traditions of sacred cultures on sacred lands.

这就是如此残酷的原因。连那些帮助我们应对、帮助我们尊敬我们所爱的人的诸多仪式都没有。和家人一起举行最后的仪式。返回家中,带着故事和爱。部落领袖在圣地上传承神圣文化的最终传统。

As a nation, we cannot and we must not let this go on.  That’s why the day before my inauguration, at the COVID-19 Memorial at the Reflecting Pool on the National Mall, I said to heal — to heal, we must remember.  I know it’s hard.  I promise you, I know it’s hard — I remember.  But that’s how you heal: You have to remember.  And it’s also important to do that as a nation.

作为一个国家,我们不能也绝不该让这种情况继续下去。这就是为什么在我就职典礼的前一天,在国家广场反思池举行的新冠病毒纪念活动上,说要治愈——要治愈,我们必须记住。我知道这很难。我向你保证,我知道这很难——我记得。但这就是你治愈的方式:你必须记住。作为一个国家这样做也很重要。

For those who have lost loved ones, this is what I know: They’re never truly gone.  They’ll always be part of your heart.  I know this, as well — and it seems unbelievable, but I promise you: The day will come when the memory of the loved one you lost will bring a smile to your lips before a tear to your eye.  It will come.  I promise you.  My prayer for you though is that day will come sooner rather than later.  And that’s when you know you’re going to be okay — you’re going to be okay.

对于那些失去亲人的人来说,我知道:他们永远不会真正消失。它们永远是你心中的一部分。我也知道这一点——这似乎令人难以置信,但我向你保证:总有一天,你失去的亲人的记忆会让你的嘴唇微笑,然后你的眼睛会流泪。它会来的。我向你保证。不过,我为你祈祷的是,那一天会来得早。那时你知道你会没事的——你会没事的。

And for me, the way through sorrow and grief is to find purpose.  I don’t know how many of you have lost someone a while ago and are wondering, “Is he or she proud of me now?  Is this what they want me to do?”  I know that’s how I feel.  And we can find purpose — purpose worthy of the lives they lived and worthy of the country we love.

而对我来说,穿越悲伤的道路就是找到目标。我不知道你们中有多少人不久前失去了某个人,心中想着:“他或她现在为我感到骄傲吗?”这就是他们要我做的事情吗?”我知道这就是我的感受。我们可以找到目标——值得他们生活和我们所爱的国家。

So today, I ask all Americans to remember: Remember those we lost and those who are left behind.

所以今天,我要求所有美国人记住:记住那些我们失去的人和那些被遗忘的人。

But as we remember — as we all remember, I also ask us to act.  To remain vigilant, to sa- — stay socially distanced, to mask up, get vaccinated when it’s your turn.  We must end the politics and misinformation that has divided families, communities, and the country, and has cost too many lives already.  It’s not Democrats and Republicans who are dying from the virus.  It’s our fellow Americans.  It’s our neighbors and our friends — our mothers, our fathers, our sons, our daughters, husbands, wives.

同时,在我们纪念的同时,我也呼吁我们采取行动。保持警惕,保持社交距离,戴上口罩,轮到你时去接种疫苗。我们必须结束分裂家庭、社区和国家并已经造成太多生命的分裂的政治和错误信息。死于病毒的不是民主党人和共和党人。是我们的美国同胞。是我们的邻居和朋友——我们的母亲、父亲、儿子、女儿、丈夫、妻子。

We have to fight this together, as one people, as the United States of America.  That’s the only way we’re going to beat this virus, I promise you.  The only way to spare more pain and more loss — the only way these millstones [sic] no longer mark our national mourning — these milestones, I should say — no longer mark our national mourning.  Let this not be a story of how far we fell, but of how far we climbed back up.  We can do this.

我们必须作为一个民族,像美利坚合众国一样共同抗击它。我向你保证,这是我们战胜这种病毒的唯一方法。唯一可以避免更多痛苦和损失的方法——这些磨石[原文如此]不再标志着我们的国家哀悼——我应该说,这些里程碑不再标志着我们的国家哀悼。不要让这个故事讲述我们跌落了多远,而是我们攀登了多远。我们能做到。

For in this year of profound loss, we have seen profound courage from all of you on the frontlines.  I know the stress, the trauma, the grief you carry.  But you give us hope.  You keep us going.  You remind us that we do take care of our own.  That we leave nobody behind.  And that while we have been humbled, we have never given up.  We are America.  We can and will do this.

因为在这深深的损失之年,我们看到了前线所有人的勇气。我知道你承受的压力、创伤和悲伤。但你给了我们希望。你让我们继续前进。你提醒我们,我们确实会照顾好自己。我们没有人会被落下。虽然我们感到谦卑,但我们从未放弃。我们是美国。我们可以而且会这样做。

In just a few minutes, Jill and I, Kamala and Doug, will hold a moment of silence here in the White House — the People’s House, your house.  We ask you to join us to remember, so we can heal; to find purpose in the work ahead; to show that there is light in the darkness.

几分钟后,吉尔和我,卡马拉和道格,将在白宫——人民的白宫家,你们的白宫,默哀片刻。我们请你加入我们一起去纪念,这样我们才能痊愈;在未来的工作中找到目标;表明黑暗中还有光明。

This nation will smile again.  This nation will know sunny days again.  This nation will know joy again.  And as we do, we will remember each person we’ve lost, the lives they lived, the loved ones they left behind.  We will get through this, I promise you.  But my heart aches for you — those of you who are going through it right now.

这个国家会再次微笑。这个国家将重现晴天。这个国家将再次充满快乐。在我们这样做时,我们将怀念我们失去的每一个人,他们的生活,他们留下的亲人。我向你们保证,我们会挺过去的。但我的心为你而痛——你们中那些正在经历痛苦的人。

May God bless you all, particularly those who have lost someone.  God bless you.

愿上帝保佑你们所有人,特别是那些失去亲人的人。上帝保佑你们。
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2021-2-23 11:07:50 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢分享
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2021-2-24 13:59:23 | 显示全部楼层
thanks a lot
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2021-2-24 19:46:19 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢分享
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2021-2-25 11:05:13 | 显示全部楼层
美国总统拜登就死于新冠病毒美国人超过50万的讲话
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2021-2-25 21:45:37 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢分享
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2021-2-26 16:40:54 | 显示全部楼层
thx for sharing!
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2021-2-27 09:34:19 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢分享
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2021-2-28 08:57:26 来自手机 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢分享
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2021-3-4 08:46:15 | 显示全部楼层
thanks for sharing
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

客服微信|Archiver|手机版|口译网    

GMT+8, 2024-3-29 12:51 , Processed in 0.052888 second(s), 21 queries .