回帖下载完整视频、音频及双语文本:

游客,如果您要查看本帖隐藏内容请【回复】

You Will Prevail – A Message to the Class of 2020
Sundar Pichai, CEO of Google and Alphabet
June 7, 2020

你们会赢——2020届在线毕业典礼致辞
谷歌首席执行官 桑达尔·皮查伊
2020年6月7日

Hello, everyone. And congratulations to the Class of 2020, as well as your parents, your teachers, and everyone who helped you get to this day.

大家好!祝贺2020届毕业生,也祝贺你们的父母、老师,以及帮助你们走到今天的每一个人。

I never imagined I’d be giving a commencement speech with no live audience…from my backyard. But it’s giving me a much deeper understanding for what our YouTube Creators go through! And I certainly never thought I’d be sharing a virtual stage with a former President, a First Lady, a Lady Gaga, and a Queen Bey, not to mention BTS.

我从来没有想过自己会在没有现场观众的情况下发表毕业典礼演讲。但这让我对我们的YouTube创作者有了更深刻的理解!我从来没有想过自己会和一位前总统(巴拉克·奥巴马Barack Obama)、第一夫人、Lady Gaga、Queen Bey和BTS共享虚拟舞台。

I don’t think this is the graduation ceremony any of you imagined. At a time when you should be celebrating all the knowledge you’ve gained, you may be grieving what you’ve lost: the moves you planned, the jobs you earned, and the experiences you were looking forward to. In bleak moments like these, it can be difficult to find hope.

我不认为这是你们任何人想象中的毕业典礼。在你们应该庆祝自己获得所有知识的时候,你们可能正在为失去的东西而悲伤:计划中的搬家,收到的工作要约,以及你期待的经历。而在当前这样黯淡的时刻,可能很难找到希望。

So let me skip right to the end and tell you what happens: you will prevail.

所以,让我直接告诉你们会发生什么:你们会赢!

That’s not really the end of the speech, so don’t get too excited.

这并不是演讲即将结束,所以不要太激动。

The reason I know you’ll prevail is because so many others have done it before you. A hundred years ago, the Class of 1920 graduated into the end of a deadly pandemic. Fifty years ago, the Class of 1970 graduated in the midst of the Vietnam War. And nearly 20 years ago, the Class of 2001 graduated just months before 9/11.

我知道你们会赢的原因是因为,很多人在你们之前实现过这样的目标。100年前,1920届毕业生毕业时恰值致命疫情结束。50年前,1970届毕业生毕业时越南战争正在进行。近20年前,2001届毕业生在9/11事件发生前几个月毕业。

There are notable examples like this. They had to overcome new challenges, and in all cases they prevailed. The long arc of history tells us we have every reason to be hopeful.

像这样的例子值得注意。他们必须克服新的挑战,而在所有情况下,他们都取得了胜利。漫长的历史告诉我们,我们完全有理由心中充满希望。

So, be hopeful.

大家要充满希望。

There’s an interesting trend I’ve noticed: It’s very conventional for every generation to underestimate the potential of the following one. It’s because they don’t realize that the progress of one generation becomes the foundational premise for the next. And it takes a new set of people to come along and realize all the possibilities.

我注意到一个有趣的趋势:每一代人都会低估下一代人的潜力,这种情况已经持续了很多年。这是因为他们没有意识到,一代人取得的进步成为下一代人前进的基础,这需要一批新人来实现所有的可能性。

I grew up without much access to technology. We didn’t get our first telephone til I was 10. I didn’t have regular access to a computer until I came to America for graduate school. And our television, when we finally got one, only had one channel. So imagine how awestruck I am today to be speaking to you on a platform that has millions of channels.

我从小没有太多接触科技的机会。我直到10岁家里才有了第一部电话,直到我来美国读研究生,我才能定期接触电脑。而当我们最终买了电视时,它只有一个频道可看。所以,想象一下,今天我在一个拥有数百万个频道的平台上向你们演讲是多么令人敬畏!

By contrast, you grew up with computers of all shapes and sizes. The ability to ask a computer anything, anywhere – the very thing I’ve spent my last decade working on – is not amazing to you. That’s OK, it doesn’t make me feel bad, it makes me hopeful!

相比之下,你们从小就伴随着各种形状和大小的电脑长大。在任何地方向计算机询问任何问题的能力,这正是我过去十年始终在做的事情,但对你们来说并不特别感到惊讶。没关系,这并没有让我感觉不好,而是让我充满希望!

There are probably things about technology that frustrate you and make you impatient. Don’t lose that impatience. It will create the next technology revolution and enable you to build things my generation could never dream of.  

可能有些关于技术方面的事情会让你感到沮丧,甚至不耐烦。不要失去这种不耐烦,它将帮助创造下一次技术革命,使你们能够建造我们这一代人做梦也想不到的东西。

You may be just as frustrated by my generation’s approach to climate change, or education. Be impatient. It will create the progress the world needs.

你们可能会同样对我们这一代人应对气候变化或教育的方式感到沮丧。要保持这种不耐烦,它将创造世界所需的进步。

You will make the world better in your own way, even if you don’t know exactly how. The important thing is to be open-minded so that you can find what you love.  

你们会用自己的方式让世界变得更美好,即使你们不知道具体如何去做。重要的是要敞开心扉,这样你才能找到你喜欢的东西。

For me, it was technology. The more access my family had to technology, the better our lives got. So when I graduated, I knew I wanted to do something to bring technology to as many others as possible.

对我来说,这就是技术。我家人接触科技的机会越多,我们的生活就越好。因此,当我毕业时,我知道我想做些事情,把技术带给尽可能多的人。

At the time, I thought I could achieve this by building better semiconductors. I mean, what could be more exciting than that?

那个时候,我认为自己可以通过帮助建造更好的半导体来实现这个目标,还有什么比这更令人兴奋的呢?

My father spent the equivalent of a year’s salary on my plane ticket to the U.S. so I could attend Stanford. It was my first time ever on a plane. But when I eventually landed in California, things weren’t as I had imagined. America was expensive. A phone call back home was more than $2 a minute, and a backpack cost the same as my dad’s monthly salary in India.

我父亲花了相当于他1年的工资买了我去美国的机票,这样我就可以上斯坦福大学了。这是我第一次坐飞机。但当我最终降落在加州时,情况并不像我想象的那样。美国的生活太昂贵了,给家里打个电话每分钟要2美元,一个背包的价格相当于我父亲在印度1个月的收入。

And for all the talk about the warm California beaches, that water was freezing cold! On top of all that, I missed my family, my friends, and my girlfriend – now my wife – back in India.

尽管大家都在谈论加州温暖的海滩,但对我来说那水太冷了!最重要的是,我想念在印度的家人、朋友和我的女朋友(现在是我的妻子)。

A bright spot for me during this time was computing. For the first time in my life, I could use a computer whenever I wanted to. It completely blew my mind. And at that same moment, the internet was literally being built all around me. The year I arrived at Stanford was the same year the browser Mosaic was released, which would popularize the world wide web and the internet.

不过,对我来说,这段时间的一个亮点是计算领域的快速发展。这是我有生以来第一次可以随时使用电脑,这让我大吃一惊。就在那一刻,互联网真的在我周围铺天盖地地建了起来。我来到斯坦福大学的那一年,也就是浏览器Mosaic发布的那一年,它将普及万维网和互联网。

The summer I left was the same summer that a graduate student named Sergey Brin met a prospective engineering student named Larry Page. These two moments would profoundly shape the rest of my life. But at the time, I didn’t know it.

我离开的那个夏天,一位名叫谢尔盖·布林的研究生遇到了名叫拉里·佩奇的准工科学生。这两个时刻将深刻地塑造我的余生。但在当时,我并不知道这一点。

It took me a while to realize that the internet would be the single best way to make technology accessible to more people. As soon as I did, I changed course and decided to pursue my dreams at Google.

我花了一段时间才意识到,互联网将是让更多人获得技术的唯一最好方式。当我意识到这一点时,我改变了原来的计划,决定在谷歌追逐我的梦想。

Inspired by the wonder that first browser created in me, I led the effort to launch one – called Chrome – in 2009, and drove the effort to help Google develop affordable laptops and phones so that a student growing up, in any neighborhood or village, in any part of the world, could have the same access to information as all of you.

受到第一款浏览器在我身上创造奇迹的启发,我在2009年领导推出了名为Chrome的浏览器,并推动了帮助谷歌开发廉价笔记本电脑和手机的努力,这样在世界任何地方任何社区或村庄长大的学生,都可以像你们所有人一样获得信息。

Had I stayed the course in graduate school, I’d probably have a Ph.D. today – which would have made my parents really proud. But I might have missed the opportunity to bring the benefits of technology to so many others.

如果我在研究生院继续进修这门课,我今天可能会拿到博士学位,这会让我的父母感到非常自豪。但我可能错过了把技术的好处带给更多人的机会。

And I certainly wouldn’t be standing here speaking to you as Google’s CEO. Believe me, when I say I saw none of this coming when I first touched down in the state of California 27 years ago. The only thing that got me from there to here – other than luck – was a deep passion for technology and an open mind.

当然,我并非以谷歌首席执行官的身份站在这里跟你们讲话。相信我,当我27年前第一次来到加州时,我没有预见到这一切的到来。我唯一从这里得到的东西,除了运气外,就是对技术的深切热情和开放的心态。

So take the time to find the thing that excites you more than anything else in the world – not the thing your parents want you to do, or the thing that all your friends are doing, or that society expects of you.

所以,花点儿时间去寻找世界上最让你兴奋的事情吧!不是你父母想让你做的事,或者你所有的朋友都在做的事,亦或是社会对你的期望。

I know you’re getting a lot of advice today. So let me leave you with mine: Be open, be impatient, be hopeful.

我知道你今天会得到很多建议,所以让我把自己的建议留给你们,那就是要保持开放心态、保持不耐烦、充满希望。

If you can do that, history will remember the Class of 2020 not for what you lost, but for what you changed. You have the chance to change everything. I am optimistic you will.

如果你们能做到这些,历史将记住2020届毕业生,不是因为你们失去了什么,而是因为你们改变了什么。你们有机会改变一切,对此我深信不疑!

Thank you.

谢谢大家。
回复

使用道具 举报

沙发
发表于 2020-6-28 22:04:11 | 只看该作者
谢谢分享
回复

使用道具 举报

板凳
发表于 2020-6-28 22:33:04 | 只看该作者
谢谢分享
回复

使用道具 举报

地板
发表于 2020-6-29 09:14:56 | 只看该作者
谷歌CEO 2020届在线毕业典礼致辞
回复

使用道具 举报

5#
发表于 2020-6-29 17:26:47 | 只看该作者
感谢分享
回复

使用道具 举报

6#
发表于 2020-6-30 11:33:33 | 只看该作者
感恩分享
回复

使用道具 举报

7#
发表于 2020-7-7 22:18:35 | 只看该作者
thanks for sharing
回复

使用道具 举报

8#
发表于 2020-7-14 10:13:31 | 只看该作者
谢谢分享
回复

使用道具 举报

9#
发表于 2020-7-20 16:08:07 | 只看该作者
谢谢回复
回复

使用道具 举报

10#
发表于 2020-7-31 12:38:51 | 只看该作者
hahahahaha
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

客服微信|Archiver|手机版|口译网    

GMT+8, 2024-4-25 06:08 , Processed in 0.055853 second(s), 18 queries .