[文教] 2020-05-03 苹果CEO库克俄亥俄州立大学网上毕业典礼致辞

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2020-5-10 08:34:31 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
打卡上传录音
回帖下载完整视频及双语文本:

游客,如果您要查看本帖隐藏内容请【回复】

Apple CEO Tim Cook’s Virtual Commencement Address to Ohio State University Graduates
May 3, 2020

苹果公司首席执行官蒂姆·库克俄亥俄州立大学网上毕业典礼致辞
2020年5月3日

Thank you, President Drake.

感谢德雷克校长。

Good afternoon, OSU.

俄亥俄州立大学的同学们,下午好!

Before we get to the important work of your future, I want to take a moment to consider our past.

憧憬未来和规划事业之前,咱们一起花点时间回忆些许往事。

As 1918 dawned, a young Assistant Secretary of the Navy, just 36 at the time, was headed overseas, tasked with making sure America’s green and untested troops were ready for action in Europe’s great war.

1918年来临之际,一位36岁的海军助理秘书奉命出使海外,帮助没有战争经验的美国军队做好准备,迎击一战中欧洲战场的敌人。

An iconoclastic poet and academic, barely 30, balanced odd jobs as a high school teacher and banker after the outbreak of war had dashed his hopes of defending his dissertation.

一位30岁出头的田园诗人和学者,战争的爆发令他的论文答辩无法进行,只能从事像高中老师和银行职员这样一些不搭边的工作。

And a young nurse, only 20, began caring for wounded soldiers at a military hospital in Toronto. She worked ever-longer hours as a strange sickness began to appear beside the wounds of war.

还有一位20岁的年轻护士,刚刚开始在多伦多的军队医院里照顾战场伤员。她日以继夜工作的同时,一场奇怪的疾病在战争创伤还没有治愈之前出现了。

By the time the Spanish Flu swept through their countries, their communities, and their bodies, these three would be forever changed.

当西班牙流感横扫他们各自的国家时候,这三个人所生活的社区和他们的身体情况被彻底改变。

Franklin Delano Roosevelt was carried off a military ship on a stretcher. Once he’d recovered back home in New York, he was the nominee for Vice President, beginning a career in national politics that would change the course of history.

富兰克林·德拉诺·罗斯福,被人从一艘军舰上用担架床搬下来,在纽约家中康复之后,罗斯福被推举为美国副总统候选人,开始了他改变历史进程的国内政治生涯。

While lying in his sick bed, T.S. Eliot began writing what would become “The Waste Land,” his poetic masterpiece. It begins, “April is the cruelest month,” and it began a movement of literary modernism that would win him the Nobel Prize for Literature.

T·S·艾略特在病榻上写下了其最著名长诗《荒原》的初稿,诗的第一行便是“四月,残忍之至的月份”。《荒原》掀起了一场现代主义文学的运动,也为其赢得了诺贝尔文学奖。

And when Amelia Earhart finally caught the flu from one of her patients, her recovery was more complicated and painful than most. To pass the long and boring hours of quarantine and social distance, she would watch the airplanes coming and going, and she started to wonder whether she might like a change of career.

阿梅莉亚·埃尔哈特受父母传染得了这种流感,比起很多人,她的康复过程更为复杂和痛苦。为了打发漫长且无聊的检疫隔离和保持社交距离的日子,埃尔哈特每天仰望天上的飞机,想着或许她该换一份职业。

Graduates, I am sorry that we’re not celebrating together today. Your class is a special one – marked by history like few others in OSU’s 150 years. And while we aren’t shoulder to shoulder in the Horseshoe, filling it to the rafters, I know your parents, your loved ones, your friends and teachers, are no less overwhelmed with pride in you and in what you have achieved.

毕业生们,今天没有现场的毕业典礼,我感到很遗憾。你们这一届很特殊,这种情况在俄亥俄州立大学150年的历史上也十分鲜有。虽然今天我们不能相聚在“马蹄铁”体育场并肩而坐,你们的父母,亲人,朋友和师长一样地为你们和你们取得的成绩感到无比自豪。

It can be difficult to see the whole picture when you’re still inside the frame, but I hope you wear these uncommon circumstances as a badge of honor. Those who meet times of historical challenge with their eyes and hearts open – forever restless and forever striving – are also those who leave the greatest impact on the lives of others.

当局者迷,希望处在目前这种特殊情况下的你们,把能够把经历这个不同寻常的“局”当成一种荣耀。以坦诚的态度和开放的心灵迎接历史挑战的人,永不安分,奋斗不息的人,也是那些给这个世界带来最大影响的人。

In every age, life has a frustrating way of reminding us that we are not the sole authors of our story. We must share credit, whether we’d like to or not, with a difficult and selfish collaborator called our circumstances.

每个时代,生活都会以一种令人沮丧的方式提醒我们,人类不是历史的唯一创造者,我们必须学会与一个很难对付,自私自利的合作者打交道,就像目前的情况一样。

And when our glittering plans are scrambled, as they often will be, and our dearest hopes are dashed, as will sometimes happen, we’re left with a choice. We can curse the loss of something that was never going to be, or we can see reasons to be grateful for the yank on the scruff of the neck, in having our eyes lifted up from the story we were writing for ourselves and turned instead to a remade world.

当我们的一展宏图被现实打得一败涂地——别急,这种事情以后还多着呢,又或者我们的热切盼望被冷水泼头——没错,这种情况时时而有之,至少我们还可以选择自己如何面对。我们可以咒骂无法复得之失,也可以从不利情况之中分析有利之势,从我们自己的故事之中升华出来,再造一个更好的世界。

When I joined Apple in 1998, I couldn’t believe my luck. I was going to spend the rest of my life working for Steve Jobs. But fate comes like a thief in the night. The loneliness I felt when we lost Steve was proof that there is nothing more eternal, or more powerful, than the impact we have on others.

我1998年加入苹果,感觉自己的运气简直是好极了,可以在余下来的职业生涯为史蒂夫·乔布斯工作,但是命运就像夜贼一样难测,失去史蒂夫的日子里,我所感受到的孤独,证明了没有什么比他人对我们的影响更为旷日持久,强大无比。

Those of us who can look back on this time and remember inconveniences and even boredom can count themselves lucky. Many more will know real hardship and fear. Others still will be cut to the bone.

如果有谁过去还经历过比现在还更加不便或者百无聊赖的日子,你们可以说是幸运的,因为这一次有更多人真正感受到了生活的艰难和内心的恐惧,甚至还有人痛苦不堪。

And while we turn to our loved ones and friends for comfort, think hard about those whose impact on your life is more distant, but no less meaningful.

亲人和朋友的安慰固然重要,但是也应该仔细想想那些对于我们的生活影响重大,但确容易被我们忽视的人。

Think about an undocumented father, ignored or scorned by his community, who is putting himself at risk in the fields today to feed his family and yours.

想想一个没有合法身份的父亲,被他所在的社区无视或蔑视。今天他正冒着危险在外面工作,来养活他的家人和你的家人。

Think about a single mother, who stocks shelves at night and drives a city bus in the morning, without whom so much would fall apart.

想想一位单身母亲,晚上在超市整理货品,白天开公交车。如果没有她,很多事情就没法正常运行。

Think about the hospital orderly, scrubbing down the ward on hands and knees, whose work today is as solitary and sacred as a high priest purifying a temple.

想想医院的勤杂工,跪着用双手擦洗病房。工作如此孤独而神圣,如同一位净化神庙的大祭司。

Most of all, think about how you – blessed with a world-class education – might act and work and be differently when all of this is said and done.

最重要的是,当所有这些事情发生的时候,想想你自己,有幸接受到世界一流的教育,该如何行动,做事,为所有人尽自己的一份力。

Memorialize in your heart the way in which these times reveal what really matters: the health and wellbeing of our loved ones, the resilience of our communities, and the sacrifices made by those – from doctors to garbage collectors – who give their whole selves to serving others.

请你在心中牢记这些时刻是如何向我们揭示什么才是真正重要的事物:我们所爱之人的健康和幸福,我们社区的韧性,以及从医生到清洁工,这些全心全意为他人服务的人们所做出的牺牲。

Not being able to leave the house leaves you with a lot of odd gaps of time to fill. I’ve been trying to use them to read, and I keep coming back to Abraham Lincoln.

这段不能外出的时期里,你们会有很多之前无法想象的空闲时间。我利用这些时间来读书,我常常会去读关于亚伯拉罕·林肯的书。

I’d recommend it to anyone who wants to put these times into perspective. You’ll be shocked at how clever and funny and alive his thinking still is, how this reserved and humble man managed, in noisy times, to call others to hope.

我愿把这些书推荐给所有能够正视那段时期历史的人,因为你可能想象不到,林肯的思想即使对于今日的读者而言,仍是如此富有智慧、有趣和具有借鉴价值,了解在那个喧嚣的时代,这位内敛而谦逊的人是如何为所有人带来希望。

And, as we celebrate OSU’s 150th anniversary, it’s worth remembering that the school wouldn’t exist without the land-grant university system that Lincoln signed into law.

It’s also hard to imagine someone more defined by their circumstances. Lincoln found his country on fire and chose to run into the flames. And he gave everything he had to bring his people – chaotic and squabbling, fundamentally flawed yet fundamentally good – along with him.

同时,在此庆祝俄亥俄州立大学成立150周年之际,值得我们铭记的是,假如没有林肯总统签署法案通过的大学土地捐赠制度,这所学校就不会存在。也很难想象还有谁像他那样不为时代环境所限,在发现他的国家深陷为难之际,赴汤蹈火,竭尽所能地把深陷混乱却争吵不休,不无缺陷但本性良善的人民团结在他身边。

“The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present,” he said. “The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew, and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country.”

他说:“来自平静过去的教条不适用于暴风雨般的现在”,“困难重重,我们必须与时俱进。我们所面对的情况是全新的,我们必须重新思考、从头再来。我们必须先解放自己,然后我们将拯救我们的国家。”

Graduates, your case is new. For you, the old dogmas have never been an option. You don’t have the luxury of being enthralled. You enter a world of difficulty with open eyes, tasked with writing a story that is not necessarily of your choosing but is still entirely yours.

毕业生们,你们遇到的情况是全新的。不能固守旧的教条,你们没有沉迷其中的资格。你们是拥有开放心灵的一代,面对这样一个困难重重的世界,肩负着创造未来的重担,这个未来可能不由你选择,却又不可能推脱。

You’re the pride of your parents and grandparents, of aunts, uncles and teachers, of the communities that shaped you in ways seen and unseen. You weren’t promised this day. Many of you had to fight hard to earn it. Now it’s yours. Think anew. Act anew. Build a better future than the one you thought was certain. And, in a fearful time, call us once again to hope.

你们是父母、祖父母的骄傲,是七姑八舅和老师们的骄傲,是所有身边人的骄傲。今天的荣誉并非命中注定,你们中的很多人是通过努力奋斗才获得的。现在轮到你们了。重新思考,从头再来。超越自己,创造一个更加美好的未来。给焦虑不安的世界带来希望。

Congratulations to you all. Be great, be well. Thank you very much.

祝贺你们所有人。预祝你们能建功立业,愿所有人健康。非常感谢各位。
回复

使用道具 举报

沙发
发表于 2020-5-10 09:07:50 | 只看该作者
哇哦!母亲节也要早起啊!!冲!
回复

使用道具 举报

板凳
发表于 2020-5-10 10:35:05 | 只看该作者
感谢分享
回复

使用道具 举报

地板
发表于 2020-5-10 16:22:59 来自手机 | 只看该作者
库克网上演讲
回复

使用道具 举报

5#
发表于 2020-5-10 23:16:03 | 只看该作者
谢谢分享
回复

使用道具 举报

6#
发表于 2020-5-11 07:37:34 | 只看该作者
谢谢分享
回复

使用道具 举报

7#
发表于 2020-5-11 09:16:37 | 只看该作者
苹果CEO库克俄亥俄州立大学网上毕业典礼致辞
回复

使用道具 举报

8#
发表于 2020-5-11 09:32:53 | 只看该作者
苹果CEO库克俄亥俄州立大学网上毕业典礼致辞
回复

使用道具 举报

9#
发表于 2020-5-12 11:02:52 | 只看该作者
谢谢分享
回复

使用道具 举报

10#
发表于 2020-5-12 11:03:20 | 只看该作者
谢谢分享。
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

客服微信|Archiver|手机版|口译网    

GMT+8, 2024-4-20 10:11 , Processed in 0.056897 second(s), 18 queries .